Help Emergency!! My Mmf Is Crumbly And Isn't Smooth

Decorating By Frecklepuss Updated 24 May 2009 , 3:37am by ninatat

Frecklepuss Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 7

I made a chocolate MMF and then added black paste to a large clump of fondant at a time and then incorporated it all together. This is my first time making MMF and I am SO disappointed. I have a lot of fondant and a large area to cover (19" W X 11" H) on a 3D golf bag cake for my dad's birthday TODAY! The MMF is crumbly (well kinda) but it isn't rolling out smooth like store bought. I know if I roll it out to the correct size and attempt to pick it up it will tear in half (or many pieces) as it almost doesn't seem sticky enough.

Can I save it? Please HELP!

6 replies
kwineinger Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe you need to add a little water, that is what I do on normal MMF.

ninatat Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

did you use crisco while mixing the fondant, i have it on my hands alot while mixing colors, and while just making it. i make mmf and don't have any trouble with it, like she said also water, you can nuke it just a few seconds and that will help but i personally would first use the crisco and pull, twist, do it with about half then pull, twist seperate, and start adding more of the fondant but you can still nuke it first good luck hope everything works out

TexasSugar Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 7

I made some homemade fondant this week (not MMF) and didn't have any glycerin but though what the heck I'll try it. The glycerin helps make it stretchy. I was having a heck of the time with it, and finally tossed it in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds, at that point I thought what will it hurt. After that I was able to roll it out alot easier and get it on my cake.

If you have glycerin I'd say try adding a little to a small bit and see if that helps. If not, try the microwave.

sweetjan Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 7

Knead in a little crisco and see what happens.......(fingers crossed!)

burgderb Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 7

I had the exact same problem this week, I never have a problem with MMF but needed a large amount of black so I made Chocolate MMF, after I added the black colouring, it seemed grainy and like it would tear, I added a little bit of corn syrup as I didn't have any glycerine and it really helped Good Luck

ninatat Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #7 of 7

i use 1 bag of minature mm's 1 bag or box of con sugar and 1 or 2 teaspoon of water and nuke, 30 seconds at a time, crisco up my hands (forgot once oh what a mess) i make a double batch, you have to watch if the marshmallows are 10.5 ounces it's cheaper to buy the large bag but i don't . so if you use a large bag it's to much.and crisco is the trick, through the entire process. i always have good luck with this, i add gum paste if i'm making bows, flowers, ect. i'm not familiar with paste i use gels. is it chocolate like frosting because that would alter your recipe. i used blue once and it looked like leather, i didn't like the look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%