Silver Look?

Decorating By elipsis Updated 23 May 2009 , 5:23pm by Jeannem

elipsis Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 8

This cake has a silver look on the out side.
What did they use?
Any help would be great!
Thank you so much!
LL

7 replies
Frecklepuss Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 8

Probably silver dust ( I don't know the EXACT word for it) they sell it at Michaels with the cake decorating supplies and it comes in a little plastic tube. You would brush it on with a soft brush in the areas you want. You can also mix a small amount with a liquid like vodka, clear vanilla or lemon juice to make a silver "paint".

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

I believe it is called luster dust ... it is also available in other colours like pink, gold and blue.

hapydazy Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 8

I have used silver luster from Micheals. I put the entire tube in a bowl added little bits of water to make it not pasty but not watery and I painted it on the fondant and let it dry overnight. It is not perfect and sometimes you can see the brush strokes but take your time and blend it while wet and it looks pretty good.

ZlatkaT Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry "elipsis" I don't want to hijack your post, but I have Q too: is that possible to use this luster for BC? I know it is not possible to brush it on BC, but can I color the BC with luster and use it for dots (as pearl)? I don't want to use fondant.???

Lady_Phoenix Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 8

I agree that looks like silver luster dust to me as well. If you ever need metallic looking silver, you can buy nusilver and it works beautifully.

AuntieE Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 8

Could it be PME Luster spray?

Frecklepuss Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

Sorry "elipsis" I don't want to hijack your post, but I have Q too: is that possible to use this luster for BC? I know it is not possible to brush it on BC, but can I color the BC with luster and use it for dots (as pearl)? I don't want to use fondant.???

You don't have to use fondant you could use gumpaste instead. Check this out http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm for great tips on making pearls. I just made a 3d golf bag and I made the studs on the bag using gumpaste, rolled it in to a ball, flattened it a bit and painting with silver dust mixed with vodka .. they look real!

To answer your question about the BC ... I have not tried that and I would try it for you if I had any BC left but unfortunately it is all gone. It may work .. I am just not sure it would have the intended effect. Sorry I don't know for sure.

Jeannem Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 8

I guess I'm not seeing silver..are you talking about on the blue--that looks like pearl dust to make it shiney..the decorations look like royal icing that is painted after it drys with either a light silver or more pearl. Depends on the look you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%