Covering Board Black

Decorating By NoahLili Updated 25 May 2009 , 6:44am by Pat317

NoahLili Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to cover my cake board black. I was wondering if there's food safe black wrap out there to cover cake boards. My local cake supply store sells black, but it's the wrap with a floral pattern on it. I need it solid black. I'm trying to shy away from covering in fondant. Any help?

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 8

I've used black tissue paper covered with plastic wrap (clear contact paper would have been better but I didn't have any).

I know you said you didn't want to use fondant, but I love the look of black fondant on a cake board and it's so easy to keep it in mind if you can't find what you want.

NoahLili Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks a bunch! If I do decide to cover it in fondant, do you normally cover the entire board with fondant and then place the cake on top, or do you place the cake on top of the cake board, then put the fondant around the cake? I'm making a cake that's 12"square, and I'm using a 16" square board to allow room for decorations around the cake.

Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 8

I cover the whole board with fondant, then put the cake on a board on top of that. Last time I painted it with confectioner's glaze and it had a neat mirror-like finish.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 8

I just covered 30 mini cake boards with fondant. I just rolled it out a bit thicker than I did other colors and covered the board with it. Then I let it set for a little bit and then put the cakes on top.

imakecakes Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 8

I use wrapping paper covered with contact paper for my boards.

NoahLili Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 8

thanks for the tips guys! We'll see how it goes...

Pat317 Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:44am
post #8 of 8

Have you thought of black contact paper? I just found some at my local Wallmart

Quote by @%username% on %date%