Please Help Me With Decorating This Castle Cake!?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 23 May 2009 , 4:04pm by kitty122000

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 17

I just finished getting this cake stacked. This is my first tiered cake. The MMF that I made seems to be kind of thin and is stretching around the corners allowing the darkness of the cake to show through. I was just planning on piping on some vines up the sides and a door, but now I am wondering if I should pipe an egde around the top of each tier or paint with food coloring to tint the entire thing to try to cover up the thin MMF. the ice cream cones that havent been covered yet will be covered in strawberry jam and bright pink sugar crystals. any ideas? opinions? please let me know what you think!! thanks for your help!
LL

16 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #2 of 17

My honest opinion? I'd take the fondant off and completely redo it. There is really no way of covering up the thiness.

Instead of using jelly on the turrents, cover them in royal icing and then roll in sanding sugar.

Post a pic when your done icon_smile.gif

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #3 of 17

What if you started by cutting out rock shapes and cover the entire thing to make it look like rock walls in light gray and white? You could also make a door on the front. That would cover up your fondant problem and no one would ever know! Gee, does it sound like I have had this problem a few or more times? lol

I do want to say that I love how you did this cake! I think it is a wonderful alternative to the Wilton castle set (which by the way is totally cheating and I don't like it!). I think it will look great whatever you do. Make sure you post a final pic for us! icon_smile.gif

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #4 of 17

Couldn't she just add another thin layer of fondant over the first layer? I've done it before and it worked fine for me.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 17

why don't you ad another layer of fondant? or even some bc. you did a great job putting it together. you could also add lots of windows and flowers and vines but i think if you tried to cover it all up with that it might look over crowded.

if you have the time, you can pretty much cover it in stones. just make them on the larger side and flat to save time. i would do it in some really light shade of grey or even several shades of grey for some variety. and def and a border on the tower part. i think it's caleld a turret? not sure. you can easily do that with a strip of fondant with squares cut out across the top, or just a big chunky roll maybe in a matching shade of pink. i have seen several casltes done with the stone method, you should be able to find one or two to look at.

if you don't want to do that, just adding a huge door and some windows would cover quite a bit. and even some random stones in white. and a large banner across the front if it's for a bday or whatever

hope that helps

kitty122000 Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #6 of 17

you guys are awesome! great ideas! I'm loving the stones idea but i'm thinking maybe pink stones? or pink and gray? would that be too wierd? I don't want to veer too far away from the princess theme. It's for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow at 3pm. My husband keeps telling me its fine how it is now, it's only my third fondant cake ever. but I want to make it look awesome! Thanks again for the great ideas!

Jasmine

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 17

I'm with yamber82! just covered with 'rocks' and flowers windows etc

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #8 of 17

How about pink and purple and white rocks?

yamber82 Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #9 of 17

pink and grey stones would be pretty. in my opinion, i think it would only work if you used a veeeeery light shade of pink. almost white. just a touvh of pink and that will balance out with the bright pink tops. also you should keep all the stones pretty close to the same shade. vary it a little but not too much or it won't have an even look. and for the border on the turrets? i was thinkin you can also make a rop with the two shades you use for the stones. just make two long thin rolls and twist them together. i have also seen some of the very tops done with a thin roll wrapped loosely around for a nice effect.

kitty122000 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:12am
post #10 of 17

Update! Not quite done yet, but I'm loving it!

Thanks again for the great ideas!

Jasmine
LL

kitty122000 Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:19am
post #11 of 17

Here's the finished product. I LOVE IT!! I'm sure my daughter will too!
LL

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:31am
post #12 of 17

It turned out awesome! What did you roll the turrets in before you sugared them? I might try this cake sometime. Thanks!

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #13 of 17

I really like the way your castle turned out! I have to do one for next week-end, & was wondering how to do it without buying the Wilton kit. I think you've solved my problem! Thanks for sharing and for all the great ideas, everybody! thumbs_up.gif

yamber82 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 17

turned out great! really cute and girly icon_smile.gif

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #15 of 17

Oh wow! you really did a great job!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 17

It turned out really good!
See when they were saying to cover it in stones I was thinking it would take forever because I was thinking little stones and completely covering the castle. See how different minds think differently! You did a good interpretation! thumbs_up.gif

kitty122000 Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 17

jimandmollie~ I covered them in frosting(store bought) then rolled them in the sugar crystals. Thanks for the compliments! I'm so happy with how it turned out. it would have been a mess without the great ideas I got here! thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%