Want To Cover A Cake With Fondant For The First Time...

Decorating By cakesweetiecake Updated 23 May 2009 , 2:06pm by Anntee

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 5

I want to step out of my comfort zone and attempt covering a cake with fondant. I've searched the boards and couldnt find the answers to my question. (I am probably not searching correctly! lol!)

I hope these questions dont sound stupid. I volunteered to make a cake for a friend and I figured I'd use this time to push myself out of my comfort zone.

My questions pertain to mainly leading up to covering and how to handle the cake afterwards. I usually use SMBC. Do I cover the cake with the fondant after it is well chilled? Afterwards, is it ok to refrigerate the cake? If so, should it be placed in a box while in the refrigerator? Also, are there any necessary steps that I should take when allowing it to come back to room temperature?

Any other advice, tips, DOs, DONTs, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid as many mistakes as possible!! LOL!

Thank you in advance!

4 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 5

I use IMBC and give my cakes a 30 min pop in the fridge prior to fondant so the icing has firmed up but is just soft enough to stick to the fondant. That works for me, I know a lot of people chill well beforehand too. Don't refrigerate after fondant, but if you do allow yourself a few hours to come to room temp and for the condensation to evaporate. Don't touch it. HTH

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 5

I agree with sayhellojana. What fondant are you using?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:18am
post #4 of 5

I usually refrigerate my lightly iced caked before I lay the fondant. I also refrigerate my cake after I put the fondant on and never had a single problem... but I have to tell you, some people do. All I do is I loosely wrap my cake with plastic wrap. I use Satin Ice fondant btw.

If you find that you have problems laying a huge piece of fondant onto the cake... don't give up because there are plenty of ways to cover a cake.

Good luck.

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 5

Here's a link to Peggy's corner which has lots of info on using fondant. HTH icon_smile.gif

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/PeggyBakingCorner.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%