Help On A Bridal Shower Cake

Decorating By Allyssanb Updated 24 May 2009 , 9:34am by JanH

Allyssanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allyssanb Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #1 of 6

a coworkers of my mom is getting married in october of this year and my mom is helping to throw the shower at work for her sometime in September , i have never even made a three teir cake and decorated and worked with fondant let alone transport a cake , and set it up . i can't assembly the cake at my house due to where they work its a goverment building and i would have to have the cake go through xray machines and don't know how excatly to do this. my mother basically said that i would do this for the part and i had no say in it and ontop of all this baking and cooking is just a hobby of mine for right now since i am a full time student doing a double major in culinary arts and theatre which is a unique combanation i could use any help i can get on this

5 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 6

Is there a specific design that you need to do? Do you have a picture or a description? Above all, if you're really that uncomfortable with this, can you tell your mom you'd like to take a pass on this one?

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for help with. You can stack the cake on sight, but how would it not get ruined going through an xray machine?? What does your mother mean by you don't get any say in it? you mean any say in the design?

From what I did understand, it seem like you do not really want to do this cake. I think you should talk to your mother about it and tell her how you feel.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #4 of 6

Well, if you do want to do the cake, October is far enough away that you will have time to practice. You might be able to talk them into a sheet cake with a cutout of a wedding gown on it instead of the tiered cake and then you wouldn't have any on site setup to do, or even cupcakes which would be really easy. They could get a cupcake tower and it would look as impressive as a tall cake.

Then again, if you are really intimidated by the cake, why don't you ask around at the culinary school and see if there are any of your fellow students who would be interested in doing the cake...those of us who are really into cakes love having a chance to show off our skills. There would still be the question of delivery and setup, but it seems like you could call the building's security office and ask how they usually handle cake deliveries and how large the opening on the xray machine is.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 6

I also don't understand how you "don't have a say in it". I hope they intend to pay you for your work. How many people does she expect to attend this shower that they want a tiered cake? You would have to put the tiers in seaparate boxes to protect it from going through the strips hanging down at the x-ray machine. Speaking of x-ray machine, it must be a very secure workplace. Make sure you will be allowed on site to complete the project.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:34am
post #6 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, Allyssanb. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:
(Includes popular CC recipes for American buttercream, fondant and doctored cake mix/WASC.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%