Colouring A Large Amount Of Sugar Paste/fondant

Decorating By Becscakes Updated 23 May 2009 , 7:27am by Frankyola

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 7

Just woundering if anyone has any tips on colouring a large amount of Sugar Paste. I have a wedding cake to do and its 4, 12" round cakes. I need them all to be an off white, how can i make sure all the cakes will be the same colour?

6 replies
CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 7

I've never coloured lg amounts before but when making MMF (and you can make as much as you want at a time) I've had good luck adding some gel colour to the melted marshmallows before mixing in icing sugar. At the very least it might give you a head start. BTW I don't have a microwave and do my melting on the stove. It works just fine and depending on the size of your microwave may allow you to do a larger batch all at once.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 7

Can you brush on some ivory gel paste (diluted with vodka)? Or some petal dust? Since it's just a few shades darker anyway, I'd think that would be easier than trying to color all the fondant.

If you haven't made the fondant yet, I'd definitely color it before you add the sugar to it. HTH

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:23am
post #4 of 7

I would suggest accurately weighing the sugarpaste. Weighing the colour might be tricky since you won't exactly need a great deal of it so you could measure the colour very carefully by teaspoon.

So, divide your total sugarpaste requirement into 2 or three equally weighing portions and colour each portion using the measured amount of colour.

Can't think of anything else.

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 7

Globalsugarart.com has Satin Ice ivory fondant on sale. THAT would be the easiest and guarantee the most consistent results.

And NO this is not a paid program... he he he icon_biggrin.gif

Here's good cake vibes for whatever way you choose! icon_lol.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:08am
post #6 of 7

Try and color your batch of fondant as you make it. Try using the same exact amount each time.

If you don't make your own, split your fondant into 3 equal parts. Color them as equally as possible. Then put them all together and knead until blended.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:27am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

Try and color your batch of fondant as you make it. Try using the same exact amount each time.

If you don't make your own, split your fondant into 3 equal parts. Color them as equally as possible. Then put them all together and knead until blended.

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%