How Do I Stack A 2 Tier Cake

Decorating By cakesnkisses Updated 22 May 2009 , 10:42pm by NiteOwl4evr

cakesnkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkisses Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 10' and 9' cake. How do I stack them??? Can I just use dowels????

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 6

I'm guessing you mean 10" and 9"...in that case, yes you can use dowels and a cake circle under the 9". I would use four or five dowels.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

I use plastic straws. They work great and you can snip them after you push them into the cake.

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 6

Straws work so well for me mainly because the weight from the cake will push the straws into the lower layer and you don't leave finger marks or mess the icing up on the lower cake if your icing with butter cream. Straws are so much easier than dowel rods for me...unless you are using the adjustable dowels. But my vote is straws!!! Good luck.

cakesnkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkisses Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 6

I love learning from everyone!!! Thank you sooo much for your advice!!! Straws it is!!! Cheaper than dowels too!!!!
So you just stick them in the cake and snip the tops???? Do I still need a board under my 9" cake?????????? THanks

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, use a board under your cake. Measure your straws and cut them to your desired length. The secret is after you have done this do not push them all the way into the base cake...leave them sticking out about an inch. Then center your top tier on the straws and the weight of the cake will make it slowly sink onto the base cake. No messed up icing on either cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%