Dry Looking Gum Paste Roses

Decorating By kaansa Updated 23 May 2009 , 9:03am by Rylan

kaansa Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make gum paste roses for the first time. I rolled gum paste in powdered sugar and as the roses are drying they look very dry/cracked on the surface. Anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong?

4 replies
hoguewild Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I roll out on a sheet of parchment paper that has been rubbed lightly with shortening. I find that works best for me, you may want to try that next time.

Have you tried steaming the roses you've already done?

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 5

I usually roll fondant out on a thin layer of crisco or even a non stick surface.

When working with gumpaste you do want to only cut a few petals out at a time and keep them covered. Air dries gumpaste out quickly, so it is something you have to work fast with, or you will end up with crackes on the edges from it drying then you trying to soften and move them around.

Frankyola Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:48am
post #4 of 5

I use crisco or corn starch it work really good thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:03am
post #5 of 5

I usually use a gumpaste and fondant mixture to make my roses since I find it much better to use. I always use my pasta machine but if I am going ro roll it on a surface, I would smear a thin amout of shortening on my surface and then roll my gumpaste/fondant. I sometimes rub a bit of shortening around my rose petal cutter and then cut the roses. I usually do a little twist. Once I'm done, I remove the excess fondant off and then I gently lift my petals onto the foam pad. I then dust the petal with a little bit of shortening/cornstarch mixture before I use my ball tool to make the edges thinner. This way, I always get perfect petals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%