Ahhh What Should I Do!

Decorating By coffeemom86 Updated 23 May 2009 , 1:16am by coffeemom86

coffeemom86 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake for my son's first birthday, and I am soooo new to this sort of thing. I am making a chocolate cake and wanted to fill it with whipped ganache... I am also using MM fondant to cover the cake. I have a couple of questions.

1) Do I need to refrigerate the cake because of the ganache filling? If it is whipped will it re-melt and ooze out of the cake if it is warm?

2) My power is going to be out from 6:30am-12:00pm and everyone will be here at 12:30 so I would need to assemble the cake in the early in the morning. should I do the mm fondant after taking out of the fridge??

I don't know if I am making any sense, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

7 replies
jlynnw Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome to CC.

I have no idea on how to help. I decided against the whiped ganache for my cake that I am doing because I did not have the answers. I am giving you a bump to see if we can get the answer.

Bump

AverageMom Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know the answers, sorry! I just wanted to say....your power is going to be out, you're making a cake AND hosting a party....You are a brave woman indeed!

bsharp Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 8

Wow, sounds like you have your hands full. If you go ahead and make the cake, I think I would be sure and make a dam before adding the filling just to help reduce the chance of it oozing. Just my guess. Good Luck

7yyrt Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 8

Cover with the fondant the night before your party, not the morning of it. Fondant covered cakes can easily last for several days.

pattycakesnj Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 8

i don't refrigerate ganache covered (or filled) cakes. they will still harden up

sari66 Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 8

Whipped ganache will not remelt or ooze out of your cake, you can cover the cake with fondant when you take the cake out of the fridge or the night before.

hth

coffeemom86 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for all the help!!! you all are truly wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%