What Is Your Way To Store Unused Ri?

Baking By ZlatkaT Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 10:40am by luv2bake6

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 21

What I was doing over two years is: the unused RI after decorating cookies, I squeeze them into empty Wilton icing tubes. I had each color in that tube, and next time I just put a tip to the tube and go... now these tubes are tearing of so much use. So I started store the RI in decorating bags with the tips and tip cover, but I am running low of my tips in my decorating box, because they are with the icing. I was wondering, if there is another way to do it. What is your way??? I also was thinking of using candy bottles, but you can't put tip on it and decorate well.....

20 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 21

oh gosh...I just seen bottles that you CAN put a coupler and tip on....give me a few to remember where I went...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 21

http://www.kitchengifts.com/squeezebottles.html not where I went but it shows the bottle coupler thingy...

ZlatkaT Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 21

thank you all4cake, this might be a solution...thanks for your time.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 21

I freeze leftovers in ziploc bags.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 21

I've never frozen it, didn't know we could, yeah!! I keep mine in glass Pyrex dishes with plastic covers. I'm always worried that if it's in plastic too long it will taste funny, like plasticky.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 21

I always store mine in tupperwear containers...

Just a side note...i've purchased those plastic bottles in which you can put tips on and really hate them. I feel they were a waste of money. Unless the btle is completely full you have to squeeze like crazy to get enough pressure to push the icing out. I've only used them once and they are sitting in my cabinet collecting dust. I thought they looked like a great idea, but they get a thumbs down from me.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 21

I store mine like Heidi Crumbs. I use glass bowls.

On a side note, I love the plastic bottles for doing my decorating. They're a bit of a pain to fill but they are all I use.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiCrumbs

I've never frozen it, didn't know we could, yeah!!

Yes! I read it here (of course!) I love it! You can take a little bag of RI out of the freezer, massage it to life - it doesn't really freeze solid - and you're good to go. I now freeze any tiny leftovers.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

I always store mine in tupperwear containers...

Just a side note...i've purchased those plastic bottles in which you can put tips on and really hate them. I feel they were a waste of money. Unless the btle is completely full you have to squeeze like crazy to get enough pressure to push the icing out. I've only used them once and they are sitting in my cabinet collecting dust. I thought they looked like a great idea, but they get a thumbs down from me.

I always wanted to try them!!!!

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #11 of 21

If I am going to be using the royal icing in the next few days, I leave it in the piping bag. I remove the tip and put a piece of plastic wrap over the top and replace the coupler ring. If I am not going to be using it again for a week or so, I put the icing in the small ziplock disposable containers and cover with press n seal before putting the lid on. I find that if the royal icing sits for more than a day or two, it seperates and needs to be stirred.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 21

I think the squeeze bottles work great for Glace' icing -- they didn't work so well when I tried them with Royal, but I probably had the RI too thick. I think I like the smaller bottles the best. If you have the big ones and are using them with smaller amounts of Glace' in them, just keep them on their side in between picking them up again -- not so far for the icing to move back to the tip.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #13 of 21

wow! I didn't think of freezing RI. Thanks for that tip. Hey, can you freeze the RI after you've already colored it??

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #14 of 21

Yes you can freeze colored RI. Let it come to room temp, then stir well.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:00am
post #15 of 21

I have the squeeze bottle the 2 oz. and I LOVE THEM I just bought 4 and I'm waiting to have a trip to the city where I bought them I need more they work really good since I have only 4 the rest of the RI I store it in a small plastic containers that I found at the Dollar store it's a package with 8 small container with lids on it. thumbs_up.gif

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 21

I put them in little saran wrap packages so I can just cut off an end and slide the tube of RI into my piping bag. Didn't know I could freeze it either - I'll have to try it!! icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #17 of 21

When are you using the plastic bottles, are yo decorate with them? How did they feel in hand?

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #18 of 21

You all are giving me some great ideas, so thank you, thank you to everyone. In answer to when they are using bottles, I believe it is to flood the cookie with. You outline first with a thicker royal icing using a bag and probably a #2 tip and then you use a thinner royal icing in your squeeze bottle to flood the middle of your cookie. I have not tried the bottle method yet, but I will soon. For those of you that are using bottles, do you fill those using a funnel or maybe a plastic pastry bag???

Kelly

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #19 of 21

I only use one consistency of icing for my flooding. I love using the bottles. My favorite is the #2.

I just use a teaspoon to fill. The icing is fairly runny so it works pretty well. If I am doing a lot of one color or alot of cookies I fill several with the same color.

I also use the small size, the big ones are too heavy(when full) for me to have good control.

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:31am
post #20 of 21

If you freeze icing and then thaw and find you still have some left over, can it be refroze?

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:40am
post #21 of 21

does the RI separate in the freezer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%