How Do I Make Numbers On Top Of Cakes?

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 22 May 2009 , 5:34pm by GeminiRJ

Larkin121 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 6

Seems like this didn't post the first time?

I love the look of a big number on top of kids cakes. Can you tell me how you do them? Are they gumpaste that has lollipop sticks or floral wire stuck in before it dries? How thick does the gumpaste need to be? And how long does it take to dry?

Any tips on how to do this well would be appreciated!

Thanks so much.

5 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 6

I make mine using fondant mixed with some tylose powder, cut the number and then let it dry slightly before inserting toothpicks. I cut it about 1/8-1/4" thick depending on the letter/number. Let it dry completely before inserting into cake. You can also use gumpaste .

keystone Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 6

I've done mine the way mentioned but I have also attached the number to a tall candle with melted chocolate.

Shelly4481 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

If you don't have cutters for the numbers you can roll out a long piece of fondant/gumpaste into a long snake then form them into the numbers you need. Insert toothpicks in bottom. I usually use 2 toothpick for each number. Lay them down on a piece of wax paper and let them dry for a few days. Turn them over occassionaly to dry both sides.

Larkin121 Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you, sounds easy enough!

I like the idea of rolling it like a snake to make the number. I don't have a number cutter, although I will be going to a cake supply store on Sunday and perhaps they'll have one there.

Thanks again for the tips!

GeminiRJ Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 6

I would make them out of cookies, with a stick baked in. But then, I'm a cookie fanatic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%