How To Attach Large Heavy Bows To The Sides Of A Cake?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 30 May 2009 , 5:30pm by lauritasolorzano

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 19

I'm going to be making a 4 tierd round cake. I would like to make 2 very large fondant bows (hardened) with broches in the center of each. They will be kind of heavy I believe. Any ideas of the best way to attach them to the side of the cakes? icon_confused.gif

18 replies
cocobean Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 19

...anyone

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 19

I would use melted chocolate

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 19

If the bottom part of the bow will be touching cake, you might be able to attach small dowels to the bow to stick into the cake. Have not tried this, but it's what popped into my brain!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 19

Depends on what the cake is finished with. Fondant? Buttercream?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 19

If the cake is finished in Fondant ....I would use either sugarglue - brushing it on every part of the back of the bow - or RI or Melted chocolate as tiggy2 mentioned - and then gently sliding thin skewers up and under the bottom of the bows on a slight angle so as when you remove them you won't see any tiny hole.

I would leave the skewers there for as long as you can - that way ensuring that the bows don't slide -
I have done this with smaller bows - using toothpicks -

Look forward to seeing these broches when your finished - icon_smile.gif they sound fabulous.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

cocobean Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks everyone those are really good suggestions! thumbs_up.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 19

I did a cake with large bows, and I hot glued a long skewer to the broach, then inserted it into the bow when I assembled it on the cake. You first have a make a hole thru the bow before it dries hard though. It worked great. Here is a picture:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1274829.html

lauritasolorzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauritasolorzano Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 19

Could this suggestions also work for this kind of cake? Is it possible to attach the loops of the bow to some skewers which will go into the cake?
I'm doing this cake on friday. Thanks

Laura
LL

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #10 of 19

Sure, you could attach the skewers to the bows. I would do them a few days ahead so the skewers are securely held in place, before you stick them in the cake... hth

lauritasolorzano Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #11 of 19

what could be the best way to attach the skewers to the loops, while they are still fresh or after they have dried with royal icing?

Laura

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #12 of 19

I did this cake with the brooches and bows http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1225153

I just used royal icing and held them on for a few minutes until they were dry enough to not move. Make sure to roll your fondant/gumpaste pretty thin to cut back on the weight

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

I did a cake with large bows, and I hot glued a long skewer to the broach, then inserted it into the bow when I assembled it on the cake. You first have a make a hole thru the bow before it dries hard though. It worked great. Here is a picture:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1274829.html

B-E-A-U-Tiful cake!! Excellent idea about using super glue to attach the broche to the dowel!

cocobean Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #14 of 19

LJ and aligotmatt, your cakes are gorgeous! They look like the kind I want to make. aligotmatt, I would love to see a close up of the homemade broches and how you made them. I have a couple of questions on the ribbon look around the bottom of each cake also. It looks like you've wrapped two fondant ribbons around each bottom. Correct? Is each tier 4" high or higher?
I only have two identicle broches to use do you think I need to find another similar one or could I get buy with a four tiered cake and only two bows? icon_rolleyes.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:24am
post #15 of 19

I've attached large bows in the middle of a fondant tier pretty much identical to the one in the picture by just using water to adhere the bow to the cake (as long as both are fondant). After the bow was freshly made (not letting it dry much since it will dry while it is hanging on the cake) I brushed water on the whole backside of the bow & just held it onto the cake for a few minutes & then it stayed by itself. I've also done the same thing with buttons, which I'm assuming would be similar to broaches. Just wet the back of them, push them into the bow, hold for a few minutes & let go when it starts holding itself up on its own.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:15pm
post #16 of 19

I did wrap 2 fondant ribbons. I added some vodka at the base of the cake, not the whole height of the ribbon. Put the ribbon on, then gently peeled it back. I used a thinner ribbon and did it again.

For the brooches, I used a flower mold from first impression molds, and made white chocolate flowers. Then I painted then with I think moonshine silver luster dust in vodka. It took like 6 or 7 layers to get it nice and silver. Then I dry dusted on top it. Used RI to attach silver dragees and a larger pearl one in the middle. It would probably paint easier if you used fondant instead of white chocolate.
LL

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #17 of 19

I love using melted chocolate, it works really well and sets up fast.

cocobean Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:20pm
post #18 of 19

aligotmatt, you are a sweetie to give us a close up of your homemade broches! thumbs_up.gif They look beautiful. I'm going to have to get me a mould. About how big is it? Also, did you dry your bows and tails before you attached them?

lauritasolorzano Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #19 of 19

I did the cake that I showed you yesterday and I attached a skewer to the center of the bow and attached the loops to the cake with RI and it turned out great.

aligomatt: you cake looks great.

Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%