Which Kitchen Aid?

Decorating By maude Updated 30 May 2009 , 3:10am by dutchy1971

maude Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 23

I am thinking about purchasing a kitchenaid mixer, but when checking there are so many different ones. I am not sure which one to get. I don't make a lot of cakes but think something more than my hand mixer would be better. What do you guys recommend?

22 replies
Gloria72777 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 23

I have had both the 5qt AND THE 6QT. I had some issues with the 5qt (something was wrong with it) I had to take it back to the store. I like the 6qt better....I can mix a bigger batch of buttercream in it. If you have a Kohls store, you can get them on sale....I saved over $200.00 on mine. Try kohls.com.

ncandanoza Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 23

Getting a kitchen aid is the best investment you can make.

I've had a 5 qt for almost 10 years, and have had no major problems with it. The only annoying problem is the back pin, it keeps sliding off... I keep a rubber mallet handy to push it back it. It really only slides out when I repeatedly whip at high speeds. I've never had it completely come out. I think if it did it would be a disaster since that holds the top piece together. For that reason, the next one I get will be a 6 qt. I want to have more beating room when I whip up and I don't want to be worried about that back pin...

hhcakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 23

go with the 6 qt. I've had several 5 qt. mixers for years and got the 6 qt. last year. It's bigger, holds more and has more power. I have "issues" with it though. It's LOUD..way louder than the 5 qts. The "metal" flat beater can't be put into the dishwasher (who would make a beater that can't be used in a dishwasher????) Also the metal part where the bowl attaches to the machine goes down instead of up (like the 5 qt.) and the bowl can come unhinged while you're mixing things such as mint dough. I think that's a safety issue and have told Kitchen Aid.
Because of the size and power I'd still recommend the 6 qt. Just get extra bowls and the plastic coated flat beaters (they can go into the dishwasher).

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 23

I have the 6 qrt size and love it. It was worth saving the extra pennies for it.

cricket0616 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 23

I had the 5 qt for years and love it, but found a thread on cc talking about the Kitchenaid 6 qt pro series on sale for $199 at Dillards, which is actually cheaper than the 5 qt. They were going fast, but if you have a Dillard in your area, you may want to check them out.

artscallion Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 23

If you plan to keep it out on your counter, be aware that the 6 qt is taller than the others. I can't keep mine on the counter because it's just an inch higher than the bottom of my upper cupboards. So I can't push it out of the way below the upper cupboard. And I can't keep it pulled forward because then it blocks the upper cupboard from opening.

So now I have to keep my older smaller KA on the counter for daily smaller jobs, and drag my new big shiny KA out of the closet for bigger jobs. icon_sad.gif I think I just need a kitchen makeover with all new cupboards and counters built around my KAs!

Gloria72777 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcakes

go with the 6 qt. I've had several 5 qt. mixers for years and got the 6 qt. last year. It's bigger, holds more and has more power. I have "issues" with it though. It's LOUD..way louder than the 5 qts. The "metal" flat beater can't be put into the dishwasher (who would make a beater that can't be used in a dishwasher????) Also the metal part where the bowl attaches to the machine goes down instead of up (like the 5 qt.) and the bowl can come unhinged while you're mixing things such as mint dough. I think that's a safety issue and have told Kitchen Aid.
Because of the size and power I'd still recommend the 6 qt. Just get extra bowls and the plastic coated flat beaters (they can go into the dishwasher).

I put my flat beater in the dishwasher......Its fine as long as you turn off the drying cycle on your dishwasher.

mmdiez10 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 23

I have a 6 qt. and I just love it. It is large enough for any job. I would like to get a smaller one just for small jobs. How could I ever live without my KA mixer? Oh, and my KA food processor?! These are the two most used appliances in my home. They get the same respect as my chef's knives. Nobody but me touches my stuff! Good luck on your KA search.

maude Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 23

Well, I quickly ran over to Dillards to get my KA for $199. They were not on sale and they only had the 5 quart for $299. So ladies check first before you go.

cricket0616 Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 23

I just received an email from another CC'er and they were not on sale where she lives in California either. She called the store I purchased mine from in Louisiana and bought the last one. Dillard's is going to ship it to her for $15. This may be a Southeast sale since the person that tipped me bought one in Jacksonville, Florida and then I bought one out of Slidell, Louisiana.

maude Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 23

If anyne knows of a store where they have them for that price I would appreciate a phone number and maybe I could get one shipped as well. Thanks

cricket0616 Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 23

Maude- I just sent you a message on where to find one.

mashmellow Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 23

Have you hear about the 90th Aniversary apple candy KA mixer with a glass bowl, is beautiful I believe is 5Qt, the bowl has meassurements, I better start saving if I want to buy it since it will be a limited eddition, it will come out at the last quarter of '09

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 23

I love a 6qt bowl, with the stand lift. I have two of them!

artscallion Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 23

And they almost always have rebates. They don't always advertise them. You have to ckeck the kitchenaid site. Right now, if you purchase a 6qt through 5/30 you get a free $80 ice cream maker attachment. The 5qt gets you some other attachments. You don't have to buy the machine directly from Kitchenaid. But you do have to send in the rebate form available at the Kitchenaid website.

maude Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #17 of 23

I'm sooooo exited, thanks to crickt0616 I received my KA yesterday and want to make a cake just so I can use it.

TexasSugar Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #18 of 23

I have used the 4.5, 5 and 6 quarts. Personally I think if you aren't doing large batches of stuff all the time you don't want to go with the 6q. It is nice if you do alot of things in 'bulk' but it doesn't really do small batches well (or at least mine doesn't).

twindees Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 23

I have the 5qt & the 6qt. I love them both. I use the 5qt for my smaller jobs and the 6qt for the bigger jobs. I love them both.

Narie Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #20 of 23

I have 4.5 which I have had for over 30 years. Since I do not bake for other It has served my purposes very well. However, I think I would choose the 5 quart model today. Every so often I will run across a recipe that takes over 7 cups of flour which is the the limit for 4.5 quart. The 5 quart has a 9 cup limit which would more than serve my needs. Unless you actually intend to bake large quanities, the 6 quart is too large for ordinary use.

Lcubed82 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:17pm
post #21 of 23

I have the 5 qt Artisan, which is usually just fine. I did put an extra bowl and paddle on my Christmas list, and Santa heard me! That has been helpful. Takes less space, and costs less, than a second mixer!

maude Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #22 of 23

For all of you guys who think the 6 QT is too big, where were you before I bought it. icon_sad.gif

dutchy1971 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:10am
post #23 of 23

I have a 6qt and I absolutely love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%