I'm Finally Charging Enough!

Business By flamingobaker Updated 22 May 2009 , 6:36pm by costumeczar

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 6

I believe that I just had my 1st potential customer turn away due to price!
I am happy because I think it means I am finally starting to charge what I'm worth.

This person called 5 months ago to reserve a spot for a communion cake.
There were several initial e-mails about design. She was waffling between a couple of VERY different cakes, a very complicated one from my website and 2 simpler ones. I gave her the "by-golly, I'm gonna charge what this cake is worth this time price" and general prices for sheet and layer cakes for the simpler ones.

A week and a half before the party, she e-mailed to tell me that
"food plans for the party have changed and they will no longer be needing a cake."

Really?!? No cake for a 1st Communion Party?

I know there may be other reasons, but I'd like to think it was because I'm finally doing this right.

BTW, the NEXT DAY, a last minute customer called, wrote a check and filled the spot! (and was thrilled)

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 6

Hahahaha...that's right! You know you are charging enough when you book just enough to keep you happy, and manage to make other eyes pop at your prices. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 6

And, soon enough, once you've stuck to your guns long enough with firm pricing, the people who do pay them without batting an eye will turn their friends on to you and so on and so forth. You'll be busy in no time, and won't even think twice about the ones who hem and haw and squirm about the price...Next!....whew! icon_smile.gif

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 6

That's awesome!

Some day... when I'm legal and not afraid to sell cake... I hope to be just like you!

Nyree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyree Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 6

Good for you! I enjoy reading posts especially dealing with pricing. I feel its a waste of time when people say they want an elaborate cake, or a sculpted cake and you give them a price and they look at you as if you have several heads.

I had someone email me back and forth for three weeks. Wanted a three stacked sculpted book cakes, a different flavor for each cake + filling. Fondant covered and delivery. I gave her a price and it took her a day to say well I thought it would be somewhere along the line of $150. Needless to say I didn't make them, but definitely refered her to check various cake stores in NY and see what price they give her. This just reinforces me to continue saying that my work should never settle for less.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

yay for you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%