Creating My First Wedding Cake Today :)

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 23 May 2009 , 8:02pm by cylstrial

Creative_chika Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 15

I have a couple questions... I'm pretty nervous about this cake for my friend. I have to add ribbon (real) to each tier, and I'm not sure how to do that, if it matters what ribbon I use, and if there will be an issue because its a bright red ribbon on white fondant. (Cake is chocolate with white fondant and royal icing S's)

Its a three tier cake: Bottom tier is a 12 but its single not double, second tier is two 10", and then third tier is two 6" rounds. Also I'm not sure if I need to use dowels or a board to separate the thin 12, because it's going to have a lot of weight, Does this matter? My friend asked me if she could give me a round plate separator and pillars (Wilton) for the third tier to be on, I said I'd try but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that.

Any help please!???? icon_redface.gif

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 15

The ribbon won't be a problem just measure and attach with a bit of royal icing.Since it isn't Buttercream icing the ribbon won't bleed.I would definetly dowel all tiers because fondant is heavy and will certainly crush the bottom layer.Also put each tier on it's own board.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 15

Do you mean a board for the 10" to sit on? Yes...absolutely, I guarantee the rest of your cake will smoosh thru and destroy the whole thing.

For ribbon, I would line the back of it with contact paper. Trim the excess. Apply when cake is chilled. You can gently guide it into place without marring or smooshing into the side of the cake that way. It will be nice and flat allll the way around, stand up straight to the icing and look awesome.

When you say 6 and 10 are two 6" and two 10", do you mean it is two layers, making one tier each? Or do you have them physically separated, like you will place flowers in between the tiers?

Creative_chika Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks kiddiekakes... I've never used boards before for my cake... Can you recomend which one I can buy?

Creative_chika Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 15

__Jamie__: By the 6 and 10 ten are two, I meant that both are two layers- One tier each... icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 15

I assumed that's what you meant, but wasn't sure. And I missed the part about it being fondant, so yeah, what Kiddiekakes said about the ribbon!

Now, have you made a stacked cake before? Again, I'm going to assume no, because there's no way you could have without boards.....right? Please pay no attention to Sandra Lee's advice on this subject. Apparently her cakes are mixed with "anti-gravity" dust. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 15

I actually use the wilton cardboard rounds...Then I stick them down to the wilton seperater plates that are the same size as each board you have each tier on and then the plates slip into what is called hidden pillars.I dowel all the tiers as well.

Creative_chika Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks so much~!!! I have stacked before, but only two tiers... So, I didnt use anything and had no issues either.... Hopefully I can get everything done! And thanks again! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 15

Hey Jamie - When you use SPS, do you use the same size plates as the cake? For instance, if I'm making a 6,8, 10, 12 round cake. Would you order the same size plates 6, 8, 10, and 12. Or do you order a slightly smaller plate? Like a 5,7,9, and 11 inch?

Thanks!

P.S. How did you cupcakes turn out?

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Creative Chika!

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 15

Lol...haven't baked yet! Laaaazy! Doing it all tonight. Never done cuppies for an order before, first time, so I didn't want to chance them drying out. So....late night for me, I'll be on Friday Night Cake Club tonight! icon_biggrin.gif

SPS - same size, 10" cake goes on a 10" plate. I always decorate past the 10" "line" anyways, I end up with a thick edge.

cylstrial Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks Jamie! I appreciate the info about SPS. As you can tell, I've never used it before. Although I did order the right sizes. So that's good news! I'm just nervous about the plate sticking out because the cake that I'm doing doesn't have a border. I really just need to practice with it and figure it out. Thanks again!

Good luck with your cupcakes tonight! I'm sure they will look great!

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks!! I always place the already boarded cake on another board (piece of foam core, whatever) that is slightly larger in diamter than the cake itself, that remember is already on it's own board. Line up that bench scraper on the biggest board. That way, I can have perfectly straight edges and not worry about the board showing, because that board is well behind the frosting. Takes some patience and some good chilling to get it off the board and not ding it up when moving and stacking and what not.

cylstrial Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:56am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Thanks!! I always place the already boarded cake on another board (piece of foam core, whatever) that is slightly larger in diamter than the cake itself, that remember is already on it's own board. Line up that bench scraper on the biggest board. That way, I can have perfectly straight edges and not worry about the board showing, because that board is well behind the frosting. Takes some patience and some good chilling to get it off the board and not ding it up when moving and stacking and what not.

That is great info! I'm just slightly confused about all the boards. Let me see if I have the right idea.

So for instance, the 6 inch square cake has a regular cardboard under it. Then I'm going to put a piece of foam core under the regular cardboard. That makes total sense.

I think this is where I get confused.

[quote = " __Jamie__"] "that is slightly larger in diameter than the cake itself, that remember is already on it's own board. [/quote]

I'm confused about the "remember it's only on it's own board". Is that the square regular cardboard that belongs to the 6 inch cake? Or is this a third board? Then I add the separator plate. Or is the third board the separator plate?

And then I understand the rest. Thanks for all your help! Sorry for the confusion! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 15

Confusing, yes, I can see that if you aren't hands on with it at the moment.

Ok, so to hide a cake circle, board, whathave you from being seen, then you have to smoothing up against another board that slightly bigger than the cake and the board the cake sits on--in other words whatever is under your cake when you go to lift it with the spatula to place on top of another tier. If you smooth with only that circle by itself, then your spatula or bench scraper, as it follows the edge of the circle, will cause it to show when you are all done.

If you place your cake (with it's original circle) on top of another circle, drum, foamcore whatever, that is slightly bigger...then your spatula is being guided by that bigger piece. When you are done, you pop the cake (with it's original circle) off of the bigger one....and you have no board showing whatsoever. Chill the cake while still ontop of that larger one though, and pop it off. Bam. Nothing showing.

Hope I didn't confuse you further!

cylstrial Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks! I think I've got it now! I've made lots of tiered cakes, I've just never used the SPS system before. And I want to make sure that I do it correctly. Thanks again for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%