My Cake Schedule...is This Going To Be Ok????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 23 May 2009 , 8:12pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 27

I work a full time job, that includes Saturdays. So decorating a cake for a weekend party is somewhat rushed for me. I bake and freeze my cakes in advance and was wondering if the below cake schedule would be ok as far as cake freshness goes...

Deforst Cakes on: Wednesday Morning
Level and Fill Cakes on: Thursday Night
Ice Cake on: Frisday Night
Decorate Cake on: Saturday Night
Cake Party Sunday at 3:00pm

What do you think????

Thank you in advance...=)

26 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 27

Ohhhh, for me, that's too much time for a cake. I would thaw on Friday morning, fill, let settle for a few hours, decorate on Saturday night. I work full time too, and unfortunately it means very late Friday nights. Bake Thursday night, fill and assemble and get most of the deco done Friday night. I don't freeze though either. I just suck it up and drink coffee.

cakes22 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 27

I'm kinda along the same lines as _Jamie_, I try to do as much as possible (within reason) at one shot. Right now, I have 2 cakes and a 2 dz cuppies to decorate. I baked one cake last night, and the other at 6:00am this morning and the cuppies at 7:00. I will spend the morning making icing, colouring it and then decorating this afternoon. Packaged and ready to go by 5:00pm.

Hey, my coffee cup is empty...... icon_cry.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 27

Hey cakes...I'm so lazy this weekend, all I got done last night was making MFF, I'm baking tonight! I have 2 cupcake with main 6" cakes orders, and I didn't want to make the cuppies too far ahead and risk them drying out or anything else. So I will bake all tonight, since they are cuppies and little 6" inchers, cool completely, fill and let settle until Saturday morning and finish up then. Whew!

MissRobin Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 27

That schedule sounds perfect to me!!

Mikel79 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 27

Thanks!!

I guess I am just going to have to suck it up. =) I am not a coffee or soft drink drinker, maybe a package of sweets will do the job =)

Thank you again!

cakes22 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 27

I did all the baking already, so I am a bit ahead. Last night, while I was waiting for the cake to bake, I made a fondant cheerleader, pompoms and a bow. I had to re-do something on another cake, cause I wasn't happy with it. I'm lazy too........ and I can only get this done today (before 5) cause I have a BBall banquet to attend, and tomorrow I'm having a garage sale to get rid of all my crap and make more money for cake stuff icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I'm on coffee refill # 4 icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 27

When I worked at a catering place I learned its ok to work on a cake all week! We'd thaw Tuesday and fill and crumbcoat...ice Wednesday, and decorate Thursday for the weekend weddings. Keep in the fridge all that time and afterwards.

I usually bake Tuesdays....and then depending on how many cakes I have I schedule one cake per day to decorate (can't take many more than 3 large cakes or 5 small cakes per weekend) and take the cakes out the night before I plan to decorate them.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 27

I really have to disagree, that schedule does not sound perfect. That is four days for a cake to sit out and accumulate moisture, risk of icing separating, all kinds of things. That is just too long in my book.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 27

Oh....see I forget, I use SMBC, and no way would I take that long, and I couldn't stand the thought of cake being in the fridge all that time either. But I'm sure other people who do a great better job than me pull it off just fine.

Shelly4481 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 27

My thought was not to take out on Wed, take out early thurs level and fill thurs nite. Sitting out all day should thaw them good. Everything else should good.

jeking Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 27

They only need a short time to thaw...maybe an hour. I would bake, fill and crumb coat on Thursday and wrap with plastic wrap..don't refrigerate...no need unless a filling that would need refrigeration.

Decorate Friday after work.

Cathy26 Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 27

i would also leave them out on thursday morning to defrost - they really dont need all night. im in the same boat as you in that i work full time so say for a cake for sunday, i would leave a cake out at the very earliest on thusday morning, and then crumb coat and fondant and decorate on Thursday evening. then do the same for another cake on friday night. this is usually christening cakes that i have for sundays. but, depending on your fillings and the longevity of your sponge you would be fine doing this.

i dont crumb coat and fondant on different nights, i just stay up late and get them done in one night. i have the gumpaste figures, and bows done in advance to speed me up.

DeeDelightful Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 27

I am a two day cake baker/decorator. I would bake the cake, at the earliest, that Friday night and wrap in plastic wrap/box it up. Then Saturday night, after work, i'd fill, ice and decorate it or decorate it that Sunday morning. Otherwise i'd bake, fill and ice on Saturday after work and decorate before delivering/pick up. i can't guarantee freshness of a cake I baked 4 days ago AND which i'm not going to get to sample.

yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #15 of 27

that does sound like a bit too long. just my opinion. i don't work, but i do have a 9 month old. i try to do as much ahead as i can so i don't get overwhelmed. i bake the cake pretty much as soon as i get the order. if it is due on sat, i take it out wednesday night late to thaw but i thaw it in the fridge. thursday i fill and ice, put back in fridge, friday decorate. i tried decorating the day of once for a late party and it was NOT a good idea. i also try to mix up several batches of bc a couple of days ahead whenever i get free time and refridgerate. to soften it, i just set it out and it gets soft really quick. also make mmf as early as possible and keep in fridge. any gp or fondant details i make a week ahead also

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:36pm
post #16 of 27

The earliest I will work on the actual cake is two days before the event. I don't work during the day so I do have more hours than some here. I just think about how I feel about cake. I won't eat cake or cupcakes that are over 4 days old. Just doesn't taste as good to me, and I have noticed sometimes they will already start to mold before a week is up.

What happens if you give someone a cake that is already 5 days old? Do they keep eating the left overs until after it is a week old?

If I was doing something really big (I don't do many wedding cakes) I could see starting three days before hand, but I'm not sure I could go before that when it comes to the cake. Now the icing I could totally make a week in advance.

yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 27

mold! mleck icon_sad.gif you just totally scard me away from leaving cake out more than like 3 days, lol. i have 2 very elaborate cakes due on the same day this weekend and i was thinking of doing one the day before and the other the day befoe that.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 27

Yeah...I won't take on more than I can handle in my "bake on Thurs, fill Friday and deco on Saturday morning schedule"....I've turned many away due to being booked, and I refuse to overload myself and/or have to work ahead...no way. I don't want to comprimise my recipes and standards. That doesn't mean other people can't get away with it with whatever recipes/icings they use, but i don't chance it with my methods.

Jocmom Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:57pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The earliest I will work on the actual cake is two days before the event. I don't work during the day so I do have more hours than some here. I just think about how I feel about cake. I won't eat cake or cupcakes that are over 4 days old. Just doesn't taste as good to me, and I have noticed sometimes they will already start to mold before a week is up.

What happens if you give someone a cake that is already 5 days old? Do they keep eating the left overs until after it is a week old?

If I was doing something really big (I don't do many wedding cakes) I could see starting three days before hand, but I'm not sure I could go before that when it comes to the cake. Now the icing I could totally make a week in advance.

We have moisture issues where I live (Michigan - water, water, everywhere) but I've never seen a cake start to mold that soon.

If I hav a cake due for the weekend - I bake it Thursday, frost and decorate on Friday, and deliver Saturday.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:20pm
post #20 of 27

Honestly I think that is way too long to have a cake out... It may not be moldy but it might just be stale...
I do cupcakes , wich means alot of baking icon_biggrin.gif
If I have an order/orders due for saturday
I bake thurs/fri *If I have to I will bake and freeze earlier but I would not defrost the cake until 2 days until it is needed!
Make and colour frosting thurs put in the fridge until ready to use
Frost/decorate cc's fri or early sat
I will make and colour my fondant a week or more in advance and
start molding etc cc toppers.

TammyH Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #21 of 27

My shedule:

Day 1 - Bake
Day 2 - Fill/crumbcoat/decorate
Day 3 - Deliver

If I HAVE to do anything early, I bake early and freeze and make any decorations/buttercream. I try to have everything ready on Day 2 so I'm not makeing more bc or mixing fondant colors. That way I can keep decorating. I also try to finish the cakes the day/night prior to deliver... that way if I drop the cake, I can run to the 24-hour store and get more supplies... (yup... I've done it).

TammyH

topaz176 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #22 of 27

Well,
I do not freeze any of my cakes.
I start 2 days in advance.
I bake in the night after work. And I wake up early in the morning to decorate before I go to work.
Or I decorate the next day after work.
I also work full time from mon. to fri. 8.00-5.00pm

Billyduffy Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #23 of 27

Hey dont worry I have 3 cakes just out of the oven cooling and the first one is for 11 am this morning

Sweet_Guys Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #24 of 27

We usually bake on Wednesday, torte & fill on Thursday, buttercream & decorate on Friday, and finish up on Saturday.

Paul & Peter

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #25 of 27

I work full time, and sell based on freshness. That means I bake my cake as late as possible. I have a cake coming up where my uncle needs to p/u on Thursday for a party Saturday. I'm going to bake on Wednesday morning, go to work, Ice and decorate all Wednesday night and bring it to my office on Thursday for p/u. The most elaborate part will be the gp flower topper, but that is getting done the week before!

MAMABEEYATCH Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #26 of 27

Hi this is almost exactly what I was going to post about. I have agreed to bake a full sheet cake (2 halves) with a batman character cake on top. For my cousins bday on May 30. I too work full time and saturdays. How far in advance can I make the buttercream icing and always freeze my cakes before I decorate, how far in advance can I do that. so I have more time for decorating. and i am no pro...lol

Mikel79 Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #27 of 27

Hi MAMABEEYATCH!

I freeze all of my cakes in advance. My Wilton Instructor said that you can feeze cakes up to 3 months. Just make sure they are properly wrapped (Saran wrap/Alum. Foil).

My buttercream icing has no milk or eggs in it. It is non-perishable. I can make this 1 week and advance and keep it in a air tight container at room temp. and it is just as delicious as when I first made it.

I make the BC receipe using SugarShacks receipe (Sharon Zambito). She told me that I can make this in advance and even FREEZE it. She said it lasts a "Looooooooong" time when frozen. I did this and it was frozen for about 1-1/2 weeks, when defrosted I couldn't belive how good it still tasted. Everyone who tasted it loved it and complimented me on the icing/cake.

Hope this helps!!

=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%