Freeze A Decorated Cake

Decorating By CreativeDelights Updated 23 May 2009 , 1:10pm by CreativeDelights

CreativeDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeDelights Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 7

I totally messed up the date on a cake order... I had written down the date as today, but it's not until 5/28. It's a 2 layer 9x13 choco cake w/ buttercream frosting and a chocolate candy transfer on top. Can I freeze it? If so, how??? Or am I just eating chocolate cake this weekend??? I feel like an idiot.

6 replies
cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 7

I have frozen cakes before, for myself to experiment. What I did was put it in the frezer until the icing was not sticky, about 1 hour. Then I took it out and wrapped it really tight with saran wrap, then put it in a plastic container. It stayed good for the 2 weeks I left it in there.

CreativeDelights Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 7

What about the chocolate transfer? Do you think it'll be okay? The only problem is that I do not have a container big enough to put it in. So I'd have to wrap it w/plastic wrap and foil. What did you do about thawing it out?

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 7

I've put molded chocolate and chocolate transfers into the freezer, it's been fine once it comes out, but it is a little more brittle while frozen.

One of my own fears is getting the date of a cake order wrong lol, I do not want to have to deal with of an extra cake, although I do know tons of people who would be more than willing to make the evidence of such a mistake disappear haha.

Good luck.

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 7

If you are going to put it in a plstic container, it the saran wrap needed? If the container is airtight, would it be ok without the saran warp?

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 7

Without the saran wrap being close to the surface you risk a greater chance of freezerburn. However, with only a week, you may not need to worry.

I am not familiar with chocolate transfers, sorry.

Also, on thawing the cake, you would unwrap everything to avoid any moisture buildup and let it thaw on the counter/table. That is how I did it.

CreativeDelights Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 7

Well, in the end, I was too chicken to freeze it! So I pulled the chocolate off the top w/o any damage and we'll enjoy the cake at our Memorial Day party tomorrow. My luck (which is really bad right now), the colors would've run together, the chocolate would've cracked and then I'd REALLY be in a bind. But thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I may just make a "trial" decorated cake to freeze sometime and see what happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%