? About Masonite Cake Boards..... A Long One!

Decorating By mommy2remi Updated 22 May 2009 , 2:11pm by DianeLM

mommy2remi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2remi Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:16am
post #1 of 7

I just ordered and received the sps system, which i am super thrilled about! I also got a couple of the masonite cake boards. They are thinner than I had imagined. I was planning on covering them and then wrapping ribbon around the outside. So, my question is.... can I just stack cardboard cake boards the same size on top of the masonite, then cover and decorate as usual? i don't see any reason why not, but the masonite is supposed to help the cake not to sag, and i don't want the cardboard to defeat the purpose of the masonite. I'm doing a 8" on top of an 12" with a 14" board for the base. i'm just really nervous, i've never transported an assembled cake this big before. i'm so new at all of this!!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:23am
post #2 of 7

How thin is your masonite? Also, where did you order your SPS from?

mommy2remi Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:42am
post #3 of 7

it's 1/4", maybe 1 or 2 cardboard boards would work to fit my ribbon.... i got everything from global sugar art. i had a hard time locating it on the site, but if you look under bakery crafts under the brands, you'll see the sps system with the pillars and plates

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:53am
post #4 of 7

I've never used the masonite cake boards (too expensive for me), but my DH used to work for a Masonite factory and I will tell you that stuff is unbelievably strong!
I don't see how it would hurt anything to stack cardboard on top, the masonite will then just support the boards as well as the cake.

mommy2remi Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 7

okay thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 7

I believe that your masonite board will be plenty strong enough for use as your base. I don't think it is thick enough to wrap ribbon around the edges though.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 7

I do this all the time. I've used stacked cardboards to top my masonite board and, preferably, a piece of 1/2-inch thick foamboard. Not only does it give you room to add ribbon, but it also gives you something to hammer a center dowel into.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%