Powder Food Color Please Help!

Decorating By cakegirl121 Updated 23 May 2009 , 7:59am by cakegirl121

cakegirl121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl121 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know what is the ratio of water to powder?

5 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 6

You don't mention what you are planning to use it for... painting, coloring frosting? I don't have a formula, but my method is adding just a little water at a time until it looks right. I know, stupid answer. Seriously though. If I'm making it into a paste-like consistency, it might be a 1/2 teaspoon of powder and two/three drops of water. It's truly just something you have to experiment with. It's never wrong... if you get it too watered down, add more powder, and visa verse if it's too thick, add more powder.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 6

gosh I didn't know you had to add water to it, I just add to my bc a tiny bit at a time and mix really good till I get the color I want. Never had a problem and I just use it for coloring icing.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 6

Dolfin, that's fine... water is not needed necessarily. I just find that when I use powder to paint, it's easier if I dilute it with a little water first, then I have no grittiness to deal with. As well, it just seems to mix into fondant quicker (for me) when it's wet. I use it dry in buttercream, however.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 6

thanks Win, hadn't thought to use it for painting I use the gel and don't really like the quality, course I don't do it often. I use it dry in my fondant also, may live on the wild side and use as a paste just to see the diffrence.

cakegirl121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl121 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:59am
post #6 of 6

i was painting on fondant...i ended up just messing around with it for a while it as ok! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%