Stack Large 1/2 Sheet Cakes!?!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 23 May 2009 , 4:06am by BlondiezBakery

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 16

Argh...I just hate making really large cakes! So, I made two 1/2 sheet cakes to fill and stack.

How in the world do you guys move these huge suckers around? More importantly how do you flip them over to stack them on top of the base. You can't grab it with your hands w/o the center snapping...or any other part.

Please help!

15 replies
srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 16

The only advise I can give you is to freeze them. Sure makes it a lot easer to stack and fill.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of 16

I use a cakeboard or no-sides cookie sheet to move them as needed. Freezing helps to make them less susceptible to cracking when aligning one on top of the other.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 16

When removing the cake from the pan, lay a large cooling rack on the pan and flip the whole pan. Lift the pan off. Quickly lay another cooling rack on the cake and holding on to both cake racks, flip the cake so it's now sitting on it's "Bottom" on a cooling rack.

Now ... to flip it onto another cake to make a 2-layer cake, lay a cardboard (or you can use a baking sheet or another cooling rack, but I prefer the cardboard) on the cake; grab the cooling rack and the cardboard and flip the whole thing. now the cake is on it's "top" on the cardboard.

Lay the edge of the cake carefully on the edge of the bottom layer, then I kinda push the cake off of the cardboard while pulling the cardboard out. It should drop right into place.

Working with a partially frozen cake is *THE* best advice.

BlondiezBakery Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for the help! It seems like next time I do this I need to certainly partially freeze them (which I hadn't done).

Also, I think I need to go to the store and buy an inventory of 'large pieces' that will support these cakes.

I currently only have some dinky cooling racks (takes 3 of them to cool a 1/2 sheet) and some large cardboard.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondiezBakery

Also, I think I need to go to the store and buy an inventory of 'large pieces' that will support these cakes.

I currently only have some dinky cooling racks (takes 3 of them to cool a 1/2 sheet) and some large cardboard.

Oh definitely get some bigger ones! I have some that are 16x20. It's great to be able to put 3 or 4 small cakes on one rack, so don't think you can only use them for big cakes.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 16

I did what Indydebi said, but my cake "stuck" to the cookie sheet!! I did manage to get it off, but next time I will try freezing for a while to get rid of the stickiness..

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 16

You could try putting a very small amount of Crisco on the cookie sheet to help with the sticking too.

crazielady38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazielady38 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 16

there is a video on the web just put in how to fill or torte a sheet cake

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 16

When I do all that flipping, I use a sheet of wax paper the size of the cake. It won't stick to cake bottom, but the gooey top will stick. If I have to slide the cake it's easier too.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

You could try putting a very small amount of Crisco on the cookie sheet to help with the sticking too.

waxed paper may help, too.

BlondiezBakery Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 16

You guys are great. It is also great to hear that you have all found ways to combat the issues.

Frequently when I am alone in my kitchen about to take on a cake, I think to myself "I wonder what the ladie on CC do? They always make it seem so easy, because you just see a beautiful finished product...not all of the issues in between. " icon_smile.gif

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondiezBakery

Thanks for the help! It seems like next time I do this I need to certainly partially freeze them (which I hadn't done).

I use one of my oven racks placed on 4 cans. It's perfect for my 18"x18" square and my 1/2 sheet cakes

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 16

I use 2 of the large wilton cake lifters, slid under from both sides. They work great and can even lift a full size sheet

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 16

Oh! I like dutchy1971's idea of using racks is great!

My husband made me wood cake boards for the larger pans. I have two per size so that i can flip them out. They are really handy.

BlondiezBakery Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #16 of 16

All great ideas...thanks for your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%