Where To Buy Meringue Powder In Australia???

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 23 May 2009 , 12:55am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 14

Does anyone know where i can buy meringue powder in melbourne australia? If not what can i substitute it with cose i wanted to make antonia's RI recipe....Thanks icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Bec005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bec005 Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:20am
post #2 of 14

I've found it online at cakedeco.com.au for $19.95 for the larger tin

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:37am
post #3 of 14

I have been told that Aussies can just use the Pavlova magic in those egg containers. You can find it in all supermarkets for a few dollars.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:48am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_Sweetie

I have been told that Aussies can just use the Pavlova magic in those egg containers. You can find it in all supermarkets for a few dollars.

That's what I thought too, although I haven't tried it myself.

Elise87 Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:22am
post #5 of 14

ohhh yeh the pavlova magic in the egg shape container! we use to sometimes buy them many years ago. Thats good, nice and local for me, thanks icon_smile.gif. It's packaging is so cool lol

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:16am
post #6 of 14

Yes, its whats i add when making my Buttercream.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:22am
post #7 of 14

I use "Acti-white", bought from local cake dec supply shop. Its cheaper than Wilton.

Bluehue Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #8 of 14

Evoir
I use "Acti-white", bought from local cake dec supply shop. Its cheaper than Wilton.

Evoir - so you put that in when your making BC?
Would i be right in saying that it keeps your BC lovely and white - yet firm enough to pipe with when decorating cupcakes?
I have never heard of it icon_confused.gif
Hmmmm - will have to make some inquiries -

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 14

I haven't used it in BC yet - only RI...sorry!

I am sure the manufacturer has a website with listed uses.

Here is some info from Weigh 'n Pay:

ACTIWHITE

This product is made from fresh egg whites. It can be used in place of egg whites in a recipe, just soak 10g Actiwhite in 80ml water for 15-20 mins then use as normal. This is the equivalent of 3 egg whites.
It is excellent for making Royal Icing as well as meringues.
MERINGUES:
Soak 10g Actiwhite in 100ml water for 15 20 mins. Whisk on high speed for 3 minutes, then add 160g Caster Sugar in a steady stream. Whisk well then add another 80g caster sugar and whisk until evenly dispersed. Bake meringues in 100C oven until dry.
ROYAL ICING
Soak 20g Actiwhite in 100ml water for 20 mins. Add 600g Icing sugar and ½ tsp lemon juice. Using electric hand mixer beat for 2 -3 minutes on medium speed to the consistency required. Leave to rest for 1 hr to remove air bubbles before use.

Evoir Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 14

OP:

I used in Antonia's recipe and it worked beautifully (I only made half the quantity though - which ended up being 7 1/2 tsps of Acti-White.

Evoir Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 14

BH:

I will have to try some in my BC...I suspect it would help stabilise it? Is that what you are thinking?

Bluehue Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

BH:

I will have to try some in my BC...I suspect it would help stabilise it? Is that what you are thinking?

Yes, thats right Evoir- I am also thinking that it would have a *longer life* out side of the fridge for those times where it has to sit *on view* for more than two hours - eg: wedding receptions....cake stalls... non refridgerated cakeshop shelf and the like.

Also for those of us who have to contend with high humidty in the Summer Months....(unlike the winter battering that most of Australia is coping right now - as i listen to the 125KLM winds rip across my tiled roof - icon_cry.gif )

Thanks Evoir - for the previous post also - great reading -
Shall certainly inquire about this tomorrow with one of my suppliers - icon_smile.gif

Thankyou Elise87 - for asking the question in the first place - again, i learn so much from this forum and all on it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Evoir Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 14

Blue - I would love to hear how you go with the BC experiment! Please keep us informed!

Itds blowing a freaking gale here too...reminds me of the weather we had when the Pasha Bulker ran aground almost exactly 2 years ago!! YIKES!

Elise87 Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #14 of 14

lol there is a bit of rough weather around australia atm especially queensland with the floods. We pretty nice down here in melb except for last couple of mornings where we had really heavy fog, i think yesterday it was 1m visibility in the city lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%