Who Has An Aluminum Rolling Pin?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 22 May 2009 , 5:03am by Rylan

Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 8

I have the aluminum rolling pin (got it from Costco) from a while back and never opened it. When I used it last last week, it left some type of black stuff on my fondant it. I've tried cleaning it and it still has those black things when you wipe it with a clean white towel. I'm not sure how to get rid of the dirt in the rolling pin. Is it just me or is that normal?

7 replies
jlynnw Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

bump

scarlett9920 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #3 of 8

Rub crisco on it then wipe it off. Do this a couple of times. When you wash use mild soap dry and rub and wipe with crisco before storing. Kind of like cast iron.

lilboo529 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 8

YOU KNOW WHAT I HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM....I HAVE HAD MINE FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW AND IT STILL DOES IT NOT AS MUCH AS FIRST BUT THERE IS A LITTLE NOW AND THEN I SOAKED MINE FOR A LITTLE IT KINDA MINIMIZED IT.

Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 8

Scarlett, does that solve the prolem? I just hate seeing the black stuff on white fondant.

And is the black stuff safe to be eaten?

Lilboo, I feel your pain =[

yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 8

i totally just had the same problem. my rolling pin is black some kind of metal i don't really know, but it was an expensive rolling pin and i havne had it for about a year. it started rusting i guess on the inside or something and when i shake it or roll stuff it leaves little flecs. made me sooo mad. i just went and bought a plain ole wood one.

scarlett9920 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #7 of 8

That fixed mine. The only part I forget to grease sometimes is the sides and I'll get the black stuff on on the outside of my thumb and forefinger. It is safe just a reaction of the metal. To clean I just wipe with a warm soapy cloth, then with a clean cloth and dry. I also grease my pin instead of using powder sugar or corn starch. I use mine pretty regular and haven't had any more problems since I first bought it.

Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #8 of 8

Thanks. I'lll try to do what you did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%