Why Do My Petals Look "forked" At The Ends? Please

Decorating By bourbs Updated 22 May 2009 , 6:45pm by tiggy2

bourbs Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 6

I was practicing lilies and poinsettas the other day and I keep getting the ends of the petals forking? (Royal icing)
Is it my technique, or the consistency of my icing?

Thanking You, Marie icon_sad.gif

5 replies
alanaj Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 6

What tip are you using? You can usually avoid that with tip #352. Mine always forked with #67.

nfanel Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

i made a cake with lilies for easter and had the same problem. i just found this tip on the wilton site:

If petals split while piping, slightly widen tip with a thin spatula. Or, add a teaspoon of piping gel to 1 cup stiff royal icing.

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 6

If you are using 68 with the lilies you may need to open that tip up some more, as that is typical of that time of leaf tip.

If you are using 352 chances are you are turning that bag up at a 90 degree angle as you are pulling away. If you are turning the bag up you are digging or dragging the tip through the end of your petal.

bourbs Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 6

Hey Ladies,

I was using tip 68. That is good to know, I'll try widening it up some more and I'm definately going to try the 352 tip also.
Oh and I did add some piping gel as my course book advised, but it still did it, so i guess it is the tip? Writing those notes in my book right now.

Thanking you so much. I wish I could do more than thank you as you are always all so kind and patient with my goofy questions.

Marie icon_redface.gif

tiggy2 Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6

Tip 352 is the way to go. I have several #67 & 68 tips and they all do the same thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%