Cooling Your Cakes?

Decorating By msc2006 Updated 22 May 2009 , 5:50pm by Minstrelmiss

msc2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msc2006 Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 22

Hi all! What's the best way to cool your cakes....so you take them out of the oven and then....?

Thanks!!

Melissa

21 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #2 of 22

I leave it in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer it to a rack to cool compretely.

msc2006 Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 22

Doesn't the rack leave imnprints on the cake though?

taygetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taygetta Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #4 of 22

Yes but on the top of the cake which becomes the bottom of your cake. If that makes any sense! icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 22

out of the oven.. cool about 10 min. then onto a board same size as cake, covered wtih thin foil .... let cool 15-20 more minutes. wrap that with saran wrap... then heavy foil and place in freezer.. for couple of days up to a month.. if it is a 9x13... 11x15.. i wrap several boards that are larger that cake,.. with white freezer paper.. shiny side up... dump my cake out on it... let cool some more.. wrap with saran wrap.. wrap with heavy foil. into freezer.. ready to ice.. let thaw... then ice and decorate....hth

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 22

Don't forget to "flip" your cake layers again, so that they're NOT resting on their "humps" while cooling (as this can cause the layer to crack).

HTH

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:41am
post #7 of 22

out of the oven....let it sit for about 5 minutes, flip on to a rack, wrap in plastic wrap and throw it in the freezer Let thaw, wrapped at room temp. Results in a very very moist and dense cake......

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #8 of 22

Out of the oven to rest for about 5 to 10 minutes, no more. Then flip over onto a piece of Glad Press and Seal. Cover it with the P&S well and flip it back in the pan to freeze. I do this even if I'm going to use it the next day. This seals in the steam and makes for a really moist cake.

mccowen73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccowen73 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #9 of 22

I dump mine onto a cooling rack right out of the oven and cover top and sides with press n seal untill cool. If not icing that day then I wrap whole cake once it is cool or even warm.

msc2006 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #10 of 22

Thank you all so much for the tips!! You are all life savers!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melissa

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 22

I level mine before removing from pan, and I do that as soon as I take it out of the oven. Sometimes I flip onto a cooling rack, sometimes I leave in the pan and cover with a towel until the next day. Depends on how lazy I am at that moment. icon_biggrin.gif

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:04am
post #12 of 22

I like to bake my cakes on Weds. so I freeze all my cakes. No one has every ask if my cakes have been frozen, I think it helps them be moist. I bake, let cool in pan for about 5 minutes or until the sides of the cake pull away from the pan. Then I flip on wire rack. I even put bowls under my rack for extra room for air to get under the cakes, then flip over again. I let cool then wrap in plastic wrap, put back in the pan I baked it in (washed) cover well with foil then pop in freezer until the night before I want to ice. I usually do this on Thurs. Fri. or Sat. Sandy

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #13 of 22

This may sound weird but I pull my cakes out of the oven and cover right away w/ wax paper then I take a cake board cut just a hair smaller than the pan then I put a heavy pan w/ a couple of cans from my pantry in it to press it down a bit 3-5 minutes, then I turn it out onto a cooling rack. Since I have been doing it this way I haven't had to level a cake, it comes out perfectly flat.

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #14 of 22

I bake my cakes and when they're out of the oven, I just let them cool for 5 mins, level the cake in pan (i haven't had to do this much since I got a convenntion oven though.) cover with plastic film and let them cool completly.

I grease/butter my oan and then line with parchment paper..HTH

SANDY

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:55am
post #15 of 22

Wow...great to see all the different techniques!

I have been trying to figure out what works best, so trying different things. Right now, I'm letting them cool in the pan about 5 mins then flip out onto a plate and cool another 5 mins then wrap everything including plate in foil. If I'm working with it on a different day than I'm baking, I will double wrap with cling, then double wrap with foil.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:28am
post #16 of 22

Wow. You want ribs barbecued for six hours over slow, smoky heat? I'm your gal. You want a pasta sauce to die for? I'm your gal. Baklava? Me. Indian/Chinese/Japanese delicacies......pick me.

But........cake? The more I read this site, the more I realize I know NOTHING about cake. I've always cooled my cakes completely and then just leveled and decorated. I don't make enough to have to freeze them. I would have thought that freezing while still warm would make a TOO moist cake. I would have thought that flattening the cake with weights while still in the pan would squish and ruin it.

But obviously not. I am REALLY interested in all the information here, and if anyone would like to elaborate why you do what you do, I'd definitely appreciate it. Specifically, doesn't your cake come out too moist and fall apart if frozen while warm? Obviously not, but can someone please describe the texture? Doesn't it get "gooey" when it thaws even while wrapped so that it sticks to everything? And what about this "flattening" thing? That would sure help in less cake waste. Are you all scratch bakers or mix/doctored mix bakers? And does that make a difference in the freezing?

Wow. There is SO much to learn here! Thank you all! icon_smile.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:47am
post #17 of 22

I flatten mine gently with a clean dish towel when they come out of the oven. I've never weighted them, I'm too chicken to try that, but I'll get a clean towel and press down the 'hump' with my hands. It reduces the need to level and also seems to make my cakes a little denser (maybe I'm squeezing out the air or something.)
As far as freezing...I always pop warm cakes in the freezer overnight (wrapped well, of course). I find it makes them nice and moist and gives them a great firm texture. I don't know enough about the science of it to know why it does that. My cakes are much more likely to fall apart if I DON'T freeze them. Strange but true.
I am a doctored mix baker, and I think that probably does make a difference. Mix cakes tend to be lighter and more delicate than scratch (IMO) so they need a little structural help where ever you can get it. However, I don't see how freezing would hurt a scratch cake, either.
If you're curious, and you have time, make a small test cake and freeze one layer and leave the other out to cool like you usually do. That will give you a good comparison to see how it works for you and your recipe.

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:51am
post #18 of 22

Since my sheet cakes are always one layer I put more batter into the pan if doing half and half or all of the batter if doing all one kind, that way the cake is taller then just 2 inches. I have noticed that the cakes will shrink down some when cooling so I never level mine anymore. If I turn them out and one side might be a little taller than the other, I just hold up that end with a spatula and pipe some icing under that low end and my cake is the same hight around. Saves that mess of cutting them off. I usually bake cup cakes with the left over batter and give away to family. Sandy

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #19 of 22

All of mycakes are from doctored mixes. I love the WASC recipe that I found on here, it is the base to most of my recipes now I just add different flavorings to it. I do have a couple of different recipies for chocolate. I have frozen most of my cakes at one time or another.The WASC based ones are great when thawed, the chocolate is super moist when thawed and a huge hit. Now as for weighing it down the cakes are still light and airy( I don't even know if that is a word) I put just enough weight spred evenly for 3-5 min I guess you gotta kind of eyeball it so its not too heavy. This is so much easier for me since I can't level a cake right to save my life, I'm always crooked somewhere lol. I never get squished cakes this way either, and no complaints, that I know of icon_rolleyes.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #20 of 22

Great info, just super! It might be a good idea that shelbur10 had for me to try the idea of cooling one completely and freezing one warm and then comparing the two. This way I'll get actual hands-on experience with the two. I've read lots of people on here who say that they ALWAYS freeze their cakes without exception and not just because they bake/sell in high volume. They do this even if they bake only occasionally for their own families because they think the texture and moistness is that much better.

So much to learn......... Thank you all. icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #21 of 22

And when I joined this website, I thought it would only be on cake decorating!!! I have learned quite a bit on this discussion thread. When I've had to bake my layers early, I've always let them cool completely and then frozen them. Otherwise, I've used the layers fresh not frozen. I am eager to try out your hints. I will also try the WASC as everyone seems to love it! Of course, my coworkers are my taste testers, and they never complain of anything I bring in!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

I am eager to try out your hints. I will also try the WASC as everyone seems to love it!

My family prefers the durable duncan hines recipe over the WASC because of texture. To us, the WASC is more muffin like than cake. That's just us though...just thought I would throw that out there since I didn't know which I liked better until I tried them both icon_wink.gif

Durable DH:
(as found her on the wonderful, amazing...addictive CakeCentral!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-0-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

I have flavored this dozens of different ways with LorAnns oils, coffee creamers, extracts, etc...just like the WASC!

Sorry to ramble on but I wish I had found this recipe (and info) when I started here on CC! Just thought I would pass it along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%