Delivery Charge

Decorating By maude Updated 22 May 2009 , 10:44am by maude

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked about delivery charge to take a wedding cake approx. 1hour 15 min away. I have not charged a delivery fee before because they have always been close to home. I have no idea what I should charge.

6 replies
scarlett9920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett9920 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 7

I usually charge by the mile and use the irs milege rate right now it is $.505. They calculate average fuel cost, wear and tear, and time.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 7

If you do charge by the mile, don't forget to calculate it based on the round trip, the mileage/time back counts too. And don't forget the pita charge lol icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 7

Bear in mind the IRS reimbursement rate is calculated to the cost of the CAR .... tire wear, gas, oil, wear and tear, etc. It does NOT include payroll for the person behind the wheel (you), insurance on the vehicle, lost opportunity costs (If you're behind the wheel of a delivery van, then you're NOT in the kitchen making cakes), etc.

I charge $1.25 round trip mile if it's outside my normal delivery area.

scarlett9920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett9920 Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #5 of 7

That was business rate which was calculated for trucks and vans.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #6 of 7

For a trip that long, my delivery fee would be the average cost of a cake. Because I'd be on the road 2.5 hours, plus possibly as much as an hour at the venue, that means I would have to take one less cake that day. So seriously, my delivery charge would be $500.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:44am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the information, at least now I have some idea on how to determine a charge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%