Coloring Candy Melts?

Sugar Work By tirechic Updated 21 May 2009 , 8:59pm by mgwebb68

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if it is ok to use wilton paste for coloring candy melts for seashells? Do you have to use the candy color? What about flavoring? Any suggestions would be great. TiA.

3 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 4

I have always used candy colors. They are oil based to mix better with the melts. There are also candy flavorings that are very very concentrated, oil based too.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 4

Most food coloring has some water in it so when you try to use it in candy melts it can make it sieze on you. I bought some oil based candy colrs for when I am working with my melts or chocolate. As for flavoring you can use any of the candy flavorings in them. I use a huge variety in my candy line. 1 lb of the dark chocolate with 1/2 a bottle of creme de menth tastes just like a andes mint. experiment and have fun.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

From experience I know that you need to use the candy color. If you use the paste colors your candy melts are going to sieze up and you aren't going to be able to do anything with it. My butterflies were beyond SAD looking. As for flavoring, Hobby Lobby and Michaels sell candy flavoring. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm making some ice cream cone cookies this weekend and I'm hoping to have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream cones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%