What Would You Charge?

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 22 May 2009 , 10:01pm by TexasSugar

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 13

for 120-140 mini cakes?

Girl wants to have quote with/without bow on top and I said that she needs something like dots, circles, etc. I believe she's looking at cutting costs.

Until I figure out a quote, I asked her about fillings and the size. I think the size is usually 3 x 3 yes?

What do you ladies suggest? Thanks for your help.

12 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 13

Crazy amount of work....just think about having to cut out all of the rounds, torting them, filling, then covering with bc (and fondant if need be). I'm not sure what I would charge but make sure you are making it worth your while!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 13

Wow, I don't think I would charge less for mini cakes than a cake to feed that many people. That would be a lot more work IMO to make that many minis rather than one big one. I can't really say how much I would charge though since I don't know what they are suppose to look like. Frostings, fondant, just a bow on top?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 13

I think it would be cheaper for her to buy a simple, yet elegant wedding cake from you.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 13

I would charge a fortune for them just so I didn't have to make them. You're talking about days and days of work.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 13

Wow that is so a$$ backwards, I can't imagine how anyone would think that would be a cost efficient route to go with cake. Wow, wow wow.....educate that girl! I would be throwing said minicakes through the nearest open window after decoarating, oh, I would say the 5th one! Minicakes are a huge amount of work over your average cake...way more! And thus, rightly so, should be charged at a higher cost!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I think it would be cheaper for her to buy a simple, yet elegant wedding cake from you.

I agree. I did mini cakes as party favors for my daughter's BD. I made about 30, it was soooooo much more work.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 13

i have to agree with the others, it should cost more, not less than a regular cake. It will be so much more work

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 13

So what did you decide to tell the bride Pattycakes?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 13

I would be interested in knowing as well. I did mini square cakes, they are in my pics, and the bakery charged $7.50 each. If they would have been in BC they would have been $5.00 each. They were easier than I thought they would be but 120? I would be strongly recommending an elegant tier cake!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 13

What is up with brides these days?? I guess they think if something is smaller then it should be cheaper! Just get a dang cake and serve it at the wedding. =)

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 13

The read these stupid mags that give suggestions on how to make their weddings cheaper! The idiots writing them have not a clue what the reality is.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #13 of 13

Is she thinking that individual serving cakes would cost less than a cake to serve 120? RUN, RUN very fast.

Actually before you do anything, please think about this and what it is worth to you. Do you have the equipment, time and space to deal with that many small cakes? If so, and you are willing to do this, please please please put a price to them that makes up for the time and hassle it is to make these, ice them, store them, transport them.

I'd tell her sure I can do 120 3x3 cakes. It will cost you (atleast) $5 per cake, though I'd be tempted to go to $7-10. At $5 that is $600 for 120. Plus $1 a bow since those take time to, so that'd be $720. Or you could just do $10 a 'cake' including the bow and tell her $1200!

Oh course when I give her that price I'd also price a cake that serves 120. Then she will see that it isn't the cheaper option.

Yes the cakes are smaller, but they are a hell of alot more time consuming so that doesn't make them cheaper.

If you do cupcakes then you could also suggest a cupcake display and give her the prices for those. Of course I'd start my cupcakes prices off the same as the serving prices and that would be with a simple decoration on top. If she wants bows, then she needs to pay for bows. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%