Silver Pearl Dilemma...

Decorating By jenbakescakes Updated 23 May 2009 , 5:59pm by jenbakescakes

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 5

So here's the deal...I thought I had silver luster dust and was going to use that to make my own fondant pearls for a wedding cake Saturday. Turns out I thought wrong and I only have pearl or gold luster. BUT...I do have silver airbrush color. My question is this, should I use my airbrush and airbrush some fondant pearls silver, pipe buttercream dots on the cake and hand paint them silver or should I go and get the luster dust (a 45 minute drive one-way)? Which way would turn out better? Thanks for your help!

4 replies
dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

I don't see a problem in airbrushing them and then hand painting..... maybe make a few and test it out to see how it looks

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

I would first try it out with the airbrush to see if i like the way it looks..and if I'm happy with the outcome then I would do it that way, but if you think that you dont like it then take the 45 min. trip thumbs_up.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 5

I would make grey pearls out of the fondant then roll them in the pearl . I never try to color anything silver anymore. Grey works great for me. I just use the smallest dot of blackin white fondant and it is perfect.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the advice! I ended up making white pearls out of fondant (meant to do them grey but forgot and remembered about 50 pearls in, I blame it on being 6 months preggo and having mush for brains!), then I airbrushed them silver. They turned out ok but if I had to do it again I would go with the silver luster dust. I had to use quite a bit of airbrush color so even though the pearls were dry when I started to airbrush, they were wet and very sticky after. I let them dry all day and handled them only with tweezers and they were useable. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%