Crumb Coat Icing

Baking By cupcakelady64 Updated 21 May 2009 , 8:55pm by Momkiksbutt

cupcakelady64 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 6

i'm sure there are a thousand of them out there, but i just need the technique for a good crumbcoat icing.

5 replies
missyd4e Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 6

I just use my plain 'ol buttercream icing. There are a whole bunch of different recipes for it under the recipes link.
Sorry, i just realized you were asking about technique. There are many posts about this. I would search under crumb coating.

GayeG Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 6

You can use ANY buttercream your frosting your cake with - sometimes I need to thin it a little but rarely ..
HTH and good luck!

brincess_b Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 6

if you go on you tube there are some videos. but really, its just a crumb coat, fill in any holes and gaps, and slap it on. thats how i do it! then worry about a perfect final bc layer/ fondant layer!
xx

cupcakelady64 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 6

well, i kind of thought that direction, to be honest i've never even used it. my BC comes out pretty smooth and crumbless, and i already use the high density foam roller to smooth it (best idea i've heard!), but reading alot of topics, it seems lots of people use the crumb coat. thanks for all the help! icon_biggrin.gif

Momkiksbutt Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 6

Just use your buttercream! Here's the absolute best one! It's from our very own CC member.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5313-0-Sugarshacks-Buttercream-Icing.html

You'll never use anything else!!

I use the liquid creamer instead of mixing the powder and water/flavoring...it works much better and the consistancy is dreamy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%