I Need Help! :(

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 21 May 2009 , 7:19pm by Lita829

imamommy1205 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 3

I decided to make a practice wedding cake today. I wanted to just make the frosting really really smooth and add some nice piping. I know getting it smooth takes pratice and that is what I have been doing. The last cake I tried to do this too came out ok...not perfect, but I was getting better. This time I used the same frosting recipe and I dont know what is going on. I cannot for the life of me make that cake smooth. I ended up scraping off most of the frosting, making it into a crumb coat and put the cake away until tomorrow.

It is around 80 degrees out today, but 69 in the house. And 44% humidity. Could this be my problem do you think. The frosting just seems too soft, but it is the same consistency as the last cake I made like this. If the weather is the problem, how do I fix the problem? What can I do?

Thanks for your help everyone! I need it!

2 replies
tiggy2 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 3

The best suggestion I can give you to get a completely smooth BC is to get sugarshack's Perfecting The Art of Buttercream DVD http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html Very reasonably priced and she takes you step by step to a perfectly smooth cake.

Lita829 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 3

I think that it could be the heat and humidity. I made a cake today and the frosting was acting funny, also. It is also about 84 degrees and humid where I live. I would try practicing another day when it's not as humid...even though summer is coming and it is only going to get hotter (good for going to the beach and bad for buttercream icon_sad.gif )

The sugar shack DVD might also have tips on dealing with buttercream and hot weather. I don't own it, but from what I saw on YouTube, she seems very knowledgable.

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%