Palm Trees

Decorating By cookinqueen Updated 21 May 2009 , 6:50pm by janelwaters

cookinqueen Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 4

I have to make some palm trees for a beach cake i am making. I have figured out how to make those, but when i put them inot the cake they want to fall over and tear the cake because i think they may be to heavy. What is the best way to secure them or attached them were they don't break the cake. I used large straw that i covered in fondant then attached the fondant leaves at the top. Is there a way to make them lighter?

3 replies
jlynnw Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 4

I rolled a log of fondant on the straw and cut the trunk to resemble a palm tree trunk, leaves were then placed in the top. I used a small sharpened dowel that I inserted into the cake and into the base board. I then slide the palm tree straw onto the dowel. This anchored everything in place. The trunk covered the hole from the dowel and all was good.

kyhendry Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 4

I put a sucker stick in the bottom so it was halfway up the tree trunk and half out and I put some buttercream grass down when i put the tree in the cake to help hold it up. See my Diego pic. icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 4

When I did mine - I used the wilton plastic dowels that I pushed all the way into the cake and then covered the part of the tree sticking out with fondant and attached the leaves to the top. pushing that dowel all the way through the cake gave it tons of support and didn't wobble at all!

good luck!! can't wait to see the pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%