Black Royal Icing

Decorating By KKaye Updated 22 May 2009 , 12:29am by missyd4e

KKaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKaye Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make Black Royal Icing so I can do some piping. I can't remember what colors I start with to make the black really black and not gray. Can anyone help me with this?

7 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 8

I always just use black but I imagine there are better informed people out there than me icon_smile.gif Good luck!

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 8

I also just use black.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 8

americolor super black is all you need. Won't need alot of it either. But...if you have wilton black then i would probably tint it brown first and then move on to black so that you are not using a whole jar of the stuff.

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 8

If you are using wilton pastes it is easier to tint brown or dark blue. I have found that if i have a lot of other colors of icing around, to mix them all up to make the funky brown color, then add the black. You can also freeze butter cream after tinting this way, but not sure on the RI. HTH

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 8

Hey, thanks guys. I am getting ready to use black RI tomorrow and was going to use wilton. Now I will make sure and get some americolor. Thank you so much for the post!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 8

You should add an extra tablespoon of meringue powder to your batch of RI to compensate for the extra liquid going into the icing. Deep, dark colors like navy blue, black, brown, and red can make the icing crumbly and weak once it's dried. Add extra Tbsp of meringue powder solves this problem.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #8 of 8

Thank you Cakepro! I will do this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%