Ribbon On Cake

Decorating By Madiken Updated 21 May 2009 , 6:14pm by Madiken

Madiken Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a Quinceanera cake for June 6th. The cake will be light pink with various shades of pink roses both on the top and cascading down the sides. The birthday girl would like a black ribbon along the bottom of each tier. The cake will be covered in buttercream. My question is: Will the black ribbon "bleed" into the pink buttercream? Is there a good way to cover the back of the ribbon with something so this does not happen?

4 replies
mcollins Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 5

Madiken, I don't have experience in this but can see where you'd be concerned. You may could back the ribbon with wax or parchment paper somehow to prevent this. Best of luck!

bubba01 Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 5

It shouldn't bleed. I have done 2 weding cakes with black ribbon and had no problem with them bleeding. If you don't feel comfortable putting the ribbon on the cake then you can cover the back of the ribbon with clear contact paper (works great). Hope this helps.

jammjenks Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 5

I have done dark purple and it didn't bleed. If you are still concerned, why not lay a piece of ribbon on a dollop of buttercream for a day or two and see if there's a problem. Kind of like your own little science experiment.

Madiken Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know you have done this and it has worked out okay bubba01! I like the idea of trying it ahead of time jammjenks. Now why didn't I think of that?!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%