Did I Overcharge?

Baking By auntmamie Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 3:07am by pipe-dreams

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 14

I just quoted a coworker for cookies for her son's baseball team.

She wants 13 individual 4" jersey's with names and numbers, in specific colors, bagged and tied, which I quoted her $3 each for.

She also wants 18 generic 3" baseballs, also bagged and tied, which I quoted her $2 for.

I then told her I would give her a 10% discount (first order for coworkers to get them on the customer list.

Did I overcharge?

13 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 14

I think you under charged. Even before the 10% discount.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 14

NO!!! Those prices sound very, very reasonable.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 14

definatly not. a standard charge on here is $1 an inch, extra for packing.
xx

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 14

I think any type of personalization deserves more money. Especially if each one were different.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks All!

She actually came back saying they were over her budget (big surprise) so we settled on 36 3" baseballs, all with "A's" on them (team name), not packaged, for $1.50 each. I know this is about half the price some people charge, but it's worth it for me, so it's all good. And I don't have to buy a special cookie cutter now icon_biggrin.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #7 of 14

Thats probably what I would have charged, too. If you're happy with it, then thats whats important. And it was easier because you didnt need to bag them!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #8 of 14

Just to put things in perspective, I was browsing online this am looking forinspiration and found some fairly plain, but very nicely done flower cookies, bagged and tied with a bow, looked like ri and they were charging......
$114 for 2dozen!!!! I'm having sticker shock just thinking about it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

Just to put things in perspective, I was browsing online this am looking forinspiration and found some fairly plain, but very nicely done flower cookies, bagged and tied with a bow, looked like ri and they were charging......
$114 for 2dozen!!!! I'm having sticker shock just thinking about it.

I think everyone who sells cookies needs to browse the internet and see what cookies are selling for. Then when someone thinks you're too high, you can tell them, "Well, you could try this site, but they charge 3 times that much .... and so-and-so charges about 4.5 times that much. Company C charges $7 a cookie AND they charge you for the container."

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 14

I saw the title, and even without reading the actual post, answered "No, you didn't", because everyone always undercharges for cookies!!!

Sounds like you came to a reasonable compromise. I have done baseballs before, and they are quite quick to do.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #11 of 14

I think that you most definitely undercharged with your original quote. I am glad you found a compromise with the round shape, but she is still getting a very good deal. Don't beat yourself up about the $1/inch concept. I have read that it is $1/inch for a basic design with 1 - 2 colors and I often will do the $1/inch, but it is with an involved design and more than 2 colors and I keep it at the $1/inch (or pretty close) most times. If it is a basic design with 1 -2 colors, I go under the $1/inch, even bagged. I think they are worth more, but it is hard for me to charge it. So don't beat yourself up. I think the biggest thing to remember is that you don't want to settle on a price that you may end up resenting half way through the order with all of the time that goes into them. You need to make sure it is worth your time. That is the key.

Baseballs were a great compromise! Congrats on your order! thumbs_up.gif I am sure they will be great!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 14

I think it was a win-win for both of you when you went with the baseballs. You'll get a decent price on some fairly easy cookies, and she gets wonderfully decorated cookies at a great price!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #13 of 14

I'm so glad to see this topic. No way did you overcharge. I'm pretty new at the decorating sugar cookie thing but I've seen some crazy prices online.

I try to charge right outside the price that would make me irritated about the order. Just like TracyLH said. You don't want to be mad about it. It ruins the whole thing. It's supposed to be fun!

People don't realize the time that goes into RI. Sure, the tasks are fairly simple, but all combined...step after step - it really consumes some serious minutes. As they say, time is money!

I'm brand spankin' new to cookie decorating. I've managed to get a few recurring orders at $1.00 each. Re-sale $.50, which felt a bit "off" to me. These are bagged and sealed with my label on the back. But, I'm new and my designs don't involve much technique. So, the word of mouth, advertisement is way worth it. But, as I get more complicated designs and develop my skills, I would ask for more for sure.

I'm glad to learn about the $1 an inch thing. Very helpful. AND, the $1.50 NOT BAGGED price that you charged for the baseballs. That's interesting information. I know my local grocery store charges $1.39 for horrible blobs or gross icing on a sugar cookie!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #14 of 14

I agree with everyone else.
It's always better to overcharge and not get the order, than to undercharge and get it. Even if you do feel like you overcharge someone, you shouldn't feel guilty if they agree. Because if they agree to the price, then you are probably (in all reality) pricing it fair. Too many people undercharge and don't even realize it.
I'm glad you came to an agreement!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%