Bye Bye Cookie Business (Sniff)

Baking By SweetDreamsAT Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm by miny

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 86

I thought I would come to CC for a collective shoulder to cry on icon_lol.gif
I have finally decided to close the oven doors on my cookie business. The biggest reason is the reality of doing my level of business (small) in the state of CA. If I could legally work from home or if I wanted to ramp things up and do more "mass production" style cookies in a rented kitchen, it could work. I would love to some day open a cute little store front bakery. But for now I am focusing on my young children, husband and home.
I miss the "all cookies, all the time" mode I was in. And I miss cruising CC as much as I used to. But I'll be back with hobby cookies from time to time, and I'll always be here to check out the incredible creations from all of you!
Thanks for listening icon_smile.gif

85 replies
RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 86

There, there...dry those tears. Just read your signature! Maybe something else is around the next "corner" for you. I do know how you feel, though, as I have been in the same place. But, something will work out for you in future, I'm sure.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 86

Oh, I'm so sad to hear that. I hope you're ok..............

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 86

((((((HUGS))))))) Remember that baking can always wait, and your children will only be little once! Being a mommy is a very good reason to put cookies on hold. Your family will grow and then you go back to cookies. icon_smile.gif

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 86

Your cookies are very pretty. Sorry you can't make it work right now!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 86

I prsonally can't think of a better reason to let the oven go cold for a while. As mentioned, children grow up so quickly, and you can't get that back. Some day, when they're all self-obsessed, him worrying about what to wear to impress his friends, or her thinking "will he ever call???" you can smile and decorate some of your gorgeous cookies, knowing you were there for them.

People often speak of putting their lives or dreams on hold for their children, but I truly don't see it that way. Every day my kids do something new and amazing... why would I want to miss that? Other things may be put on hold, but it's for ME, so I can enjoy watching my boys grow, learn, and become the amazing people I know they will. Those are memories I will never regret!! So, the best of luck to you, and the 'hobby' occasions will be that much more fun!

Edited to fix some major grammatical poopy! icon_redface.gif

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 86

Sorry to hear the news. Your cookies are beautiful.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 86

Your cookies are gorgeous and I'[m sure they still be when you get back to them!!!

patty5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty5 Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 86

OMG! your cookies are amazing! I am sorry to hear you have to leave the business, but may be there's something you can do, have you consider writing a step by step book on how to make your amazing cookies? I'am sure it would be a big hit!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 86

Oooh, yes, write a book! I've always admired your cookies and I would definitely buy it, and your kids would be so proud! Just don't get all caught up in a big book tour, we saw how that turned out for Kate Gosselin. icon_smile.gif Have fun with your family and make them cookies whenever you can. icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 86

EW EW EW!!!! write a book!!! PLEASE write a book!!! I would TOTALLY buy you book!!!!!

(psst....I think your door just opened....!!!)

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 86

Your cookies are amazing & I'm sure your kids are too! Enjoy them before they grow up on you. You'll still have time to enjoy doing cookies just not in the capacity your used to for a few years thumbs_up.gif

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 86

I am so sorry to hear this, but i understand. I often tell my now 17 year old, that yes i put my life and dreams on hold, but only to help him reach his! I have never regretted my decision, because he has givien me the best dream of all, and i got to see and hear and be a part of it, not just watching from a far. Besides, you will still be able to scratch that baking itch, just think of all those fund raisers and parties, and sleepovers youll be involved with. Best of luck, savor all of it.

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 86

Hi, i saw your cookies and are "BEAUTIFUL", and I think it will be a wonderful idea to write a book on how to make beautiful cookies of maybe to offer classes to your neighbors or make short courses, etc. Good luck

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I prsonally can't think of a better reason to let the oven go cold for a while. As mentioned, children grow up so quickly, and you can't get that back. Some day, when they're all self-obsessed, worrying about what to wear to the impress his friends, or "will he ever call???" you can smile and decorate some of your gorgeous cookies, knowing you were there for them.

People often speak of putting their lives or dreams on hold for their children, but I truly don't see it that way. Every day my kids do something new and amazing... why would I want to miss that? Other things may be put on hold, but it's for ME, so I can enjoy watching my boys grow, learn, and become the amazing people I know they will. Those are memories I will never regret!! So, the best of luck to you, and the 'hobby' occasions will be that much more fun!

Beautifully said.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #16 of 86

SweetDreamsAT: Your cookies have always been on my "favorites" list, and I'm sad that they will come fewer and farther in between. They have been your prologue. However, just have others have already stated, your children will grow so quickly that this time you have with them will go by in a blink! My sons are 21 and 17 --I took a ten year hiatus from caking while I did "soccer mom, PTA President, Room Mother, Taxi Driver, JROTC, etc." I don't regret a moment of dedicating myself to them entirely. They are incredible young men, Your children will only reap the benefits of your devotion to them. That being said, there will always be reasons to make your beautiful cookies --just with less stress over the issues of needing to make it your bread and butter. Now, shoulders straight, put away those tissues, powder your nose and go be the next chapter in your life! There's always material for an epilogue --and when the time is right, we'll title it: Empty Nest Cookies!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 86

I am totally in the same boat! While my business is still fairly small and mainly co-workers, family, and friends - I totally feel anxiety and guilt when I am putting my time into my cakes over my children. Most times I wait until they are in bed before I do anything as to not feel this way and then I get it from my husband that I stay up late for cakes, but not for him. I too am thinking about only doing occasional family/friend cakes. My kids are 5.5 & 3, I work a full-time job and to me it's not worth it right now.

Good luck to you - those occasional hobby cookies will be so much fun now!

Karen

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #18 of 86

Melvira, you said it perfectly. As a 30 year old SAHM of 3 little girls (6, 5 and 2) I feel as though I am doing the "job" I was born for. Oddly enough, I found being a mother MUCH more challenging when I was employed. I guess I am a person who is totally devoted to one thing, when I was working it was work. Now that I'm doing family it's my family. I found I resented my family for taking me away from my job (sounds crazy, I know!). Now that I'm 100% a wife/mother I'm much happier because I do exactly what I want to do when I want to do it. Granted children and husband throw curveballs my way, but I'm a great catcher. SweetDreams, congratulations on your decision! I think in time you'll view this as one of the greatest defining moments of your life.

Arainna Forth

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:37pm
post #19 of 86

I love your cookies, SweetDreams! Enjoy your children, and view this as just a bit of a breather from hardcore cookie decorating. I love creating cookie art, but I know that to do it as anything more than a hobby would take more time and effort than I'm willing to put forth. So keep decorating those gorgeous cookies and keep posting photos of them for us to see! Your hiatus will be over before you know it, and you'll have no regrets for spending time with your family and not letting those precious moments with your children slip thru your fingers.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #20 of 86

Here is another (((hug))) for you too. I agree with those that say you should write a step by step book, your cookies are incredible, and your attention to detail is amazing.
I also agree that you should take time for your family, but don't forget to take some time for yourself as well. This is advice coming from a grandma with 8 grand-kids.
So keep creating those fabulous cookies when you can, and post them for us so we can become inspired after we pick our jaws up off the floor.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #21 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

SweetDreamsAT: Your cookies have always been on my "favorites" list, and I'm sad that they will come fewer and farther in between. They have been your prologue. However, just have others have already stated, your children will grow so quickly that this time you have with them will go by in a blink! My sons are 21 and 17 --I took a ten year hiatus from caking while I did "soccer mom, PTA President, Room Mother, Taxi Driver, JROTC, etc." I don't regret a moment of dedicating myself to them entirely. They are incredible young men, Your children will only reap the benefits of your devotion to them. That being said, there will always be reasons to make your beautiful cookies --just with less stress over the issues of needing to make it your bread and butter. Now, shoulders straight, put away those tissues, powder your nose and go be the next chapter in your life! There's always material for an epilogue --and when the time is right, we'll title it: Empty Nest Cookies!

That was beautiful, and I totally agree!! I've got tears in my eyes reading this thread, as I am a mother of four girls...10,6,4 and 2...and I know what it's like.
Good luck on any and all future endeavors!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #22 of 86

Good luck with everything! I think you should write a book as well! As everyone else has said, your cookies are beautiful!

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 86

SweetDreamsAT - I couldn't support you more in your decision because I recently made THE EXACT SAME ONE myself! I could've written your original post word-for-word. After 2 1/2 years of doing what 'forthwife' said..."the job that I was born for" I've decided to back away from it right now to be more available to my husband and two sons, a sophomore and junior in high school. It was so hard to quit...took about 6 months of back and forth but I now know that I made the right decision. My boys have been an never-ending source of joy for me and if you feel that constant tug like I did then you need to go with it for now and yet know that you've got this wonderful cookie talent in your back pocket that you can pull out any time you need to. In a little over two years my boys will both be off to college and I couldn't be more thankful that I have the option to be there with them right now. They grow up soooooo fast! Kudos to you for deciding to be with your family!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #24 of 86

SWEETDREAMS AT
I know some of what you are going thru. Back in 03 I left my steady job to become a stay at home dad. I did not know what to expect since this was our first child. I does take time to get in the groove, but you will enjoy the time you have with your family, I know I did. They do grow up quickly and you will wonder where did the time go. In 07 we dicided to put our son in preschool that was the hardest thing I have ever done , since it felt like I was being FIRIED. It was something we had to do. In short enjoy the time that you will, have it goes by quickly.

Taz-from-PR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taz-from-PR Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I couldn't say it better... I've been in your shoes. Many of your cookies are in my fav's too. May God Bless you!!!! You should consider (really) writing your book. Your work is so inspiring and it shows that it's made with love. Good luck in your next chapter of your life thumbs_up.gif

SweetDreamsAT Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #26 of 86

Oh my goodness! I am so very touched by everyone's words of encouragement and kind thoughts. Its always nice to know you're "not the only one."
Of course, what did I expect?! I've always knows that this little cookie community is special. Honestly, everything you all have said has made me feel so much better than anything I've told myself over the past few months while coming to this decision. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Much love and hugs back!

SweetDreamsAT Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:02am
post #27 of 86

Oh, and a book has actually been something I've considered. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't such an off-the-wall idea. Maybe some day icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:07am
post #28 of 86

Your amazing, fun and totally inventive cookies will be very sadly missed around here. icon_sad.gif I just love your work and enjoyed everything you posted. Best of luck to you in the future. icon_cool.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #29 of 86
Quote:
Quote:

Oh my goodness! I am so very touched by everyone's words of encouragement and kind thoughts. Its always nice to know you're "not the only one."

No, SweetDreams, you are not the only one. I saw Bakinccc step back as she mentioned to focus on time with her family as I was deep in the throes of trying to line up everything to start this as a business. After 18 years of moving, supporting my husbands career and raising children, I was ecstatic to find my own niche again. I felt I was doing something, like all of my friends with their job titles and accolades and I was finally going to have a title again. But my children are still young and there were so very many late nights of cookie-ing, hours upon hours spent designing and researching all of the legalities and within the few days, I stepped back and looked at the situation. Life is short. I just lost a friend to ALS. I will not have an infinite number of nights to cuddle up with my husband instead of quietly trying to crawl in bed at 2 am only be exhausted and not myself the next day/days. My children will grow and I don't want their memory of me to be one of a stressed out mother trying to 'fulfill herself", which was my case. Although it is hard, I am coming to the realization that my fulfillment does not need to be the words "I own my own business", but that I can find a proper balance, which I myself have not been doing.

I think you are phenomenally talented - far so more than I. As someone who was trying so hard to find her niche like you, I applaud you for being selfless and for putting your family first. I really do. Although it admittedly is not easy, I am just now coming to that point and you and Bakincc are paving the way for me two women whom I have come to know as my 'cookie friends' and I truly respect across many levels who are doing the right thing for their families.

Your talent will not go away as you raise your children. You will still be able to find time to express yourself creatively with cookies and your other endeavors and when the time is right, you will succeed in a way I never will. I know that and I say that in a good way and a positive one. I see you doing great things, CeRae. I sincerely do. By the way, I think the book is an absolutely excellent idea. I will buy the first copy.

So try not to look at this as a loss. It is just on hold as you invest in the future of your family. And that is what will matter in the long run.

I am really proud of you and to say that I respect you is a phenomenal understatement. Thankyou for sharing your decision as that helps me in mine. Sorry about the novel, but you can tell this is close to my heart. Know that you are doing the right thing and thankyou again for sharing.

You will do great things, CeRae and for right now you are doing the greatest.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:32pm
post #30 of 86

Oh my, you guys are all making me cry...I have been debating this same decision for the past year or so. I think I've quit at least a dozen times.

Although I have 5 kids, their ages are quite spread apart...21, 19, 11, 8 and 5. I have always been a SAHM...always done the PTA, soccer, cub scout, brownie, hockey, room mom thing. I loved my job. When my oldest son went off to college, I found myself questioning my "job security". I thought "Oh my gosh...I can't do this job forever?". I thought I needed to get started on "my" life. I kinda fell into the cookie thing when a friend needed cookies for a fundraiser. Next thing you know, I'm going to school full time getting my pastry certificate, and taking orders like crazy. I rented a kitchen (the only one I could find) about 45 minutes away. I work in a bakery during the day to hlep put my oldest thru college. That leaves cookies all night. This kitchen has always been a sore spot. By the time I get home at night, the kids are all in bed. Although the older children are very supportive, the younger kids don't understand. I always feel so guilty when they say "All you ever do is cookies".

Now, reading that some of my "best cookie friends" are putting things on the back burner, gets me thinking even harder. They are only kids once. I know I would regret more missing that, than missing that next big order.

CeRae and Jennifer, I give you a standing ovation for putting your families first. I look forward to buying books from each of you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%