Buttercream Timeline

Decorating By cakemeasIam Updated 21 May 2009 , 8:35pm by cakemeasIam

cakemeasIam Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 4

i am a newbie and we are doing a cake used with only buttercream...how far in advanced will it last? refrigerate or not? any wisdom you can share would be great... you are all so talented and awesome!

3 replies
brincess_b Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 4

whether or not you need to refridgerate it or not depends on your recipe (bc of the filling, if it is different). there are lots on here that dont need refridgerated. life is easier when you dont need to put it in the fridge!
i usually cover my cakes with fondant, and have sat them out (covered) for 5 days before eating, it was still the same. and it lasted past that once it was cut in to. not sure if the same applies to bc, but i dont see why not, its still a coating which will keep the cake coated too.

erin_e Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 4

Like above it really depends on if you use something that needs to be in the fridge. Its been a long day but I'm not getting whether you mean how long will the cake itself last after you ice it or if you just mean can you make the icing in advance...

When I took the first class from wilton my teacher said that the "class buttercream" can last up to 4 wks in an airtight container. That said I've never used anything past about 2 weeks, and mostly that's when I'm just using leftovers for something, but I have had an iced cake sit for about 5 days and still be fine.

cakemeasIam Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 4

thanks...more or less i was wondering how long buttercream can stay without being refrigerated or covered
i prefer to work with mmf but this customer does not want fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%