How Do I Grease A Ribbon To Put On A Cake?

Decorating By mariak Updated 21 May 2009 , 4:29pm by indydebi

mariak Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 4

I read in a post that instead of putting wax paper behind a ribbon you can grease it so that the buttercream doesn't leave a stain. Hoe exactly do you do this. Do you soak it in oil or sray it with spray? Do you let it dry before you put it on the cake? Does it still feel greasy? Also my ribbon isn't fabric, it is more of a sparkly sheer so do I even need to do this? Thanks for any help.

3 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 4

Essentially, what you are doing is staining it as well, just as the BC would do. However the BC tends to only do it in areas and patches, hence the stained look. So you're just getting it all over with in one shot. Rub a paper towel with grease, and pull your ribbon back and forth thru it until is coated. Rub it all off, you're done.

If you want a sharper finish to it, without the grease and shine, and want the ribbon to look exactly like it does right off of the spool, because greasing it will make it change color, line the back with clear contact paper. It keeps a nice stiff shape, and it won't change color.

Shelly4481 Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 4

I have put many ribbons on cakes and never did anything to the ribbon before I put it on. I let the cake crust well (at least a few hours) sometimes overnight. Have used all kinds of ribbon too. It works for me every time. I also live in a dry area most of time, once in a while it is humid and when it is I put cake in fridge to crust really well then put on ribbon.

indydebi Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 4

I'm with Shelley .... I let the icing crust very well and never have a spot problem on ribbon.

However, a couple of times, I've had to do this and a couple of techniques I've used are:

- Lay the ribbon on your counter and take some crisco in your hand and just smear it down the length of the ribbon. Turn ribbon and repeat. wipe counter REALLY well!

- Glop of crisco in one hand .... ribbon in the other. Pull ribbon thru crisco-covered-fingers and coat both sides at one time.

- Some ribbon will change color slightly and some will change color drastically. Navy blue tends to turn black. So test it first.

- I apply the ribbon on the cake while it's 'wet'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%