Billy's Vanilla Cupcakes-Has Anyone Tried This Recipe Before

Baking By cakelass Updated 31 May 2009 , 2:23pm by 1cupcake

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 10

I have ben reading very mixed reviews regarding Billy Reece vanilla cupcake recipe which featured on Martha Stewart.
Has anyone tried this recipe before? I would love to know how you went and what amount of baking powder you used and also if you used regular flour or cake flour.
TIA

9 replies
goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 10

Its one of my standards!! I love them and so does everyone I make them for. The recipe I follow has 2TBL of baking powder.

Just dont fill the cups to high. These don't have a nice dome top, they are flat. If you fill the cups more then 1/2 they will stick to the pan and are hard to get out. I love this recipe because it is sooooooo easy, one bowl and one meauring cup.

Hope this helps!

cakelass Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks this does help.
Just another question(sorry). What flour do you use as we do not have cake flour readily available here?

1cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1cupcake Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 10

I find that they are good when they're still warm (obviously), but after a few hours of cooling, the texture changes and gets dry. Based on the technique used to make this cupcake, I think cake flour is essential or else it can be easy to develop too much gluten from overbeating

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 10

Billy's is my standby vanilla recipe. I make it exactly as the recipe calls for, so I can't speak to how it would turn out without cake flour. I can echo the earlier posts that it's important not to overfill the liners, as this recipe easily spills out onto the pan and sticks if they are overfilled. I've also found that they are generally a little dry on the day you make them. I've learned to make them the day BEFORE I need them, then completely cover the tops with buttercream (i.e., no cake showing on top) and let them sit (boxed) overnight. The buttercream will moisten them up perfectly and the next day they are wonderful!

cakelass Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for your responses. Kpow do you use one or two tablespoons baking powder? There has been a lot of debate about this one.

1cupcake Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #7 of 10

I've always used 1 tbsp. I'm not sure, but aren't recipes usually formulated using 1 tsp of baking powder per 1 cup of flour (but not always, just a general guideline).

If you make this with all purpose flour, please share your results! I'm not a crazy fan of cake flour and try to avoid it when I can.

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 10

The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon, so that's what I use.

cakelass Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #9 of 10

Ok, I finally got to try the rcipe.
I made my own cake flour ( as it is not available in Australia) and used 1 and 1/2 tablespoons baking powder.
As others have pointed out the same day the cupcakes were well ok I guess but I thoght they tasted maybe a bit eggy??
The day after I have just tried them and they taste really nice and moist.
Even with the tablespoon and half of baking powder I did not have any problems with overspilling. I made 24 cupcakes (regular)
I hope this helps anyone wanting to try he recipe.

1cupcake Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 10

I think these are too eggy too. I also thought they were dense and not very fluffy. I wish it was possible to create box mix texture without having to use mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%