I Think I'm Beyond Help :(

Decorating By julia77 Updated 25 May 2009 , 6:08am by julia77

julia77 Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:56am
post #1 of 25

I just don't know what to do. icon_cry.gif

I cannot even draw an outline of what I want the faces to look like! I have no artistic ability whatsoever.

I have printed on to paper some faces I like, and sat them on the dolls to get the idea of what I want them to look like.....but I know I'll never be able to do it myself.

I've NEARLY finished.....just got to do the darn faces.

I'm at the point of frustration! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

WHAT DO I DO??? PLEASE someone say give up, go to bed and read a book. icon_sad.gif

24 replies
Reimagining_Confections Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 25

What about laying the picture of the faces you like under wax paper and using a really small tip 0 or smaller and tracing on the faces with RI. It will be rough since it is so small, but possible.

The other posibility is a projector on fondant that you could copy with edible pens(don't know if you have these items).

Maybe there are some cake artists in the area that could help? I am an artist and faces we're my hardest hurdle to clear.

Good luck!

JGMB Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 25

I'm certainly not an artist, so I can't help. I just wanted to say, "What an amazing cake so far -- I LOVE it!!!!" I'm sure you'll figure out a way to finish it off perfectly. thumbs_up.gif

michellesArt Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 25

i used an image of bella and edward that i'd printed out (not edible) and lay it on a piece of parchment i used double side tape to adhere the image to the parchment then used a bit it RI to adhere that to the cake-that could work in a pinch-they look soo cute i myself am very artistic and would paint the face on a skintone shape of fondant but that's me. i think this is the easiest solution just be sure to let the person know the actual face in not edible (i know i hate having any part of my cakes not edible but hey!) hope that helps icon_smile.gif

leahk Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 25

I would print them out in an edible printer. There's no way I'd attempt doing that!

julia77 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 25

I don't have an edible printer, so if I can't find one locally, I might just have to print it out on normal paper (a better fit than I have in my photo though). How disappointing.

It's my first cake - I shouldn't have attempted anything so hard! Should have known I was out of my depth icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

JGMB Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 25

Okay, now I'm officially blown away if that is truly your FIRST cake!!!!!!! Don't you dare get down on yourself for not being able to paint a face free-hand. As I said in my previous post, that cake is really great (and that was before I knew it was your first).

I'm looking forward to seeing your second . . . and third . . . and . . . icon_wink.gif

krissycupcakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 25

ok for your first cake to have lines that smooth and look that nice wow you do need to understand that most of our "first" cake were ugly as hell or inedible looking

Bluehue Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 25

*faint* - that is your first ?
I think what you have done so far is just amazing - well done -
pfffttttt, better than well done.
They are those little *Russian Dolls* aren't they - that stack inside each other - jusr gorgeous.
I have never tried anything like you are doing so from where i sit - it all looks brillante. thumbs_up.gif

Brownie1954 Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 25

The cake is fantastic....If you hadn't told us that the pictures of the faces on there weren't alreadypainted on, I wouldn't have guessed it. Too bad you can't just leave the pictures of the faces on the cake as is. I am stumped as to suggest what to do....I am going to look at the cake again, and see if I can come up with something......

julia77 Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 25

Yes, truly my first.

I have just finished a 14 hour course (over 7 weeks) and we first made a ganache covered mud cake, and then a fondant cake. We had to come up with our own design and cover & decorate it ourselves. I loved the course, loved my cake (except for my lumpy covering).....until I got to the faces.

I thought perhaps it wasn't very good because most of the shapes and flowers were done using cutters with not much freehand moulding or piping. I'm not very confident about my piping and have just stuck to "dots" heh heh.

Now my sister is engaged and has asked me to decorate her cake.....so.....I'll be back here bashing my head against a brick wall and asking for TONNES of advice. Thank goodness I found this place! And thank you for your encouragement. thumbs_up.gif

As for the faces.......it's 11.24pm here, I'm tired and grumpy and going to bed icon_lol.gif

Kay_NL Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 25

WOW!!!! You did a remarkable job on those faces, you should be very very proud of this cake, it is amazing! icon_smile.gif

jojo76 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 25

I love it, I think your cake is fantastic and looks really professional.
I was going to suggest just doing a simpler face, do the eyes
closed, so you can just do little curved lines. A little curve for the nose,
and if you have a tiny heart punch or cutter, use for lips?
Because the cake is quite stylised, i think you can simplify the
face quite a bit and it will look lovely. Do cheeks with little pink
circles or a littlebrushed on pink tint?
sorry for my weird typing, I can only get half the page for some
reason, is everyone else getting this or is my pc doing something
annoying? icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 25

If you take a copy of the pictures to your local Alberson's or other grocery with a bakery, they will make an edible copy for you. I do this from time to time when I need an edible print. It's cost's about $5.00.

Problem solved! Save up your money, like I am, and then you can get your own printer one day. There are many printers that will work, not a Kopy Cat, just check online to see which ink cartridges they take.

Nice cake by the way!

jojo0676 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 25

LOL, I saw your post and though "What's that, I didn't post anything!" Too funny

jojo76 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #16 of 25

argh LOL sorry Jojo0676 didnt know Id nearly stolen someones identity......should I alter my name a bit? icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #17 of 25

Just get very different avatars and/ or signatures. If you need help, let me know.

jojo0676 Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #18 of 25

Oh no, don't change yours. I just thought it was funny icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #19 of 25

Hey julia77-
Everyone struggles with faces. At least you know yours will look better than my last attempt. Go ahead and laugh. I do every time I see it.

icon_lol.gif <-- see?

julia77 Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:07am
post #20 of 25

Jamm, I laughed, it's true. But only because there is no way I could do as good a job as that!!

You've decided it for me.....I'm printing pictures and pasting them on! thumbs_up.gif

Kahuna Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:28am
post #21 of 25

Jamm, just to let you know my DD happens to be standing here and said "That looks gorgeous!!" Just giving you another prespective icon_biggrin.gif

solascakes Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:10pm
post #22 of 25

Julia and Jamm you both need to be slapped back to reality icon_eek.gif .The cakes are gorgeous,I cannot make anything like that and I don't feel i'm bad .Now you might make me feel bad icon_confused.gif . Yes I hope you two feel guilty. icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #23 of 25

Oh yes I agree with everyone, the edible image is the way to go. Some grocery store bakery in your area should have it. Call around.

And MAKE SURE that you tell them that the print needs to be the same size as the faces you brought them so that it fits on your cake. Sometimes those printers resize things a bit. The one we use at work does that sometimes. It would be horrible to get the wrong size only to find out when you get home and waste your time and money. So, just a tip. icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your cake! It is really just gorgeous! Ive been decorating for 2 years and I dont think I could do a cake like that!

alanaj Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #24 of 25

That cake is awesome!!!
Here's a tip someone else (Jamie) gave me on here: Take a thinly rolled out piece of gp or fondant. Lay it over the faces (with wax paper in between) on a glass table. Position a light underneath to work as a "light table". Then you can hand paint the faces with your coloring. If you hate it, just throw out the gp or fondant and get the edible image printed. Then at least you tried! icon_wink.gif

julia77 Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:08am
post #25 of 25

Thanks for the advice everyone - I ended up printing the faces and prettying them up with RI. Attached them with icing to the dolls and wha-la! Done.

I am so pleased my first cake is finished!!

When I build up skills and confidence I might try faces again some time........in a long time..... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%