Help - Need A Deep Blue And Don't Have Any Royal Blue

Decorating By margaretb Updated 22 May 2009 , 5:33am by margaretb

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:23am
post #1 of 6

I need to make a deep blue to represent outer space (don't want to cover a cake in black icing). I was sure I had royal blue, but can't find it anywhere. I have sky blue and cornflower blue. I also have black, red red, burgundy, violet but no idea what to put together to make a deep blue. Any help appreciated and needed immediately!

5 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 6

You could mix your two blues together and than add a little black to make it darker.

margaretb Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 6

Good thinking, and I love your cupcake joke.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 6

A bit of the violet might help as well. Try it in a small 'sample' of the blue before you add it to the whole batch!

margaretb Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 6

I did as suggested, even the tiniest bit of violet, although I don't know if that made much difference. Anyway, it ended up a kind of slate blue and looked like a night sky, which is just fine. My now 6 year old is only going to care about the aliens anyway.

Thank you for the suggestions.

margaretb Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 6

I actually had two people comment on the blue -- asking how I got that colour. They thought it was kind of shiny or metallic. I think it is just because I put so much colour paste in that it was kind of greasy or shiny from the glycerin or whatever is in that stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%