Do You Think This Is Wrong??

Business By Confectioners_Conundrum Updated 21 May 2009 , 4:35pm by indydebi

Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:29am
post #1 of 9

I started this business because I liked to make cakes, and I love the creative side of it. I intentionally put on my website and business cards "DESIGNER" cakes so that people would get the hint that I do more than plain ole' sheet cakes...hoping that I would get a lot more than just sheet cake orders. Well, I guess people don't get it cause they seem to only want to pay a sheet cake price even if it's a 3d cake with the most intricate designs. When I said Designer, i hoped that people would know i was not going to be priced like a super market. my question is, do you think it is wrong of me to turn down orders that are too simple? also, is it wrong of me to have a minimum price? I just put on my site that every cake has a minumum of 50 dollars, that i do not do cakes of any kind for less than 50. what do you think?

8 replies
en-passant Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:38am
post #2 of 9

I have a minimum price and a minimum size.

I read here once a while ago (before I became a member) that someone wrote that they'd rather make 2 cakes at $100 each than ten cakes at $20 each.

That has been stuck in my head since.

jlynnw Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 9

It is all up to YOU! What you want to do and what you are comfortable with. Is your business strong enough to turn down orders, even if they are simple sheet cakes? I agree whole heartily with setting limits and have expectations of what you will do. I minimum of $50 is reasonable, anything less, it is not worth my time to turn the oven on. You want a detailed 3D cake and want to pay nothing for it? Too bad so sad. There is quality work with a quality product you are serving or the store down the street that will make the cakes just like everyone else across the country. Will they taste as good as yours? Probably not. You can not compete with Sams, WalMart, Costco and the like but you do not have the same product either. Borowing a tag line of a CC member, I do no sheet cakes, might help. (I don't remember who it is)

milissasmom Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:41am
post #4 of 9

No I personally do not think it is wrong to have a minimum (I have one too). Also, I do not price my sheet cakes like a Market. My sheet cakes are priced by the serving just like my regular cakes (3D/Carved cakes are of course higher). That's how I got people out of ordering them from me. If they were gonna pay 3.00 a slice for a sheet cake, they might as well get a cake with some bells and whistles ya knowicon_smile.gif Good luck with what ever you decide as there is no real right or wrong thing here. It's about what YOU want for your business.

Ruth0209 Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:36am
post #5 of 9

I recently decided to set a minimum size of an 8" cake and a minimum price of $50. After making a few 6" cakes that were as much work as an 8" for a crumby $30, I decided they're just not worth the time. Besides, people still think they're going to get some elaborate design on a stinkin' 6" cake! There's only so much you can do design wise with that small of a cake.

costumeczar Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 9

Other businesses don't worry about whether it's right or wrong to set decent prices for their products, so we shouldn't either. If I want to go to get a new couch, I can go to a cheap furniture store and get something that's made with fake wood, rickety springs and no choice of what the fabric is, and I can take it home that day (think grocery store bakery.) Or I can go to a nice furniture store that will give me a couch made from real wood, my choice of fabric, and it will cost more and take a few weeks to deliver (Think custom cakes.) Don't feel bad for setting minimums and asking a fair price for your skill and time.

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 9

I think setting a minimum is a good idea.
I think limiting yourself to non-sheet cakes is going to bite you.

Some parts of the public only think in terms of sheet cakes so you're cutting them off from the get go. I think being able to make a great sheet cake is important.

I mean it depends on if you're out to make money or if you want to stroke your ego--I don't mean that in a bad way--Some cake artists want that glory some cake artists want that paycheck. Me, I go for the green. But everybody decides for themself.

I can make designer sheet cakes.

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 9

I also think that your minimum should be stated once on your webpage and stated very matter of factly--I went to check it out but my computer can't find your webpage.

Like, $50 minimum order.

Some minimal thoughts.

indydebi Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 9

I had a lady call to order a sheet cake for 10 people. I told her my minimum size was a sheet that served 35 for $50. She bought that cake.

On my website, Dessert cakes page, I flat out tell them, "You won't find grocery store pricing on these cakes ... but you won't find these cakes at a grocery store, either!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%