Fondant Cake With No Border

Decorating By jmr531 Updated 21 May 2009 , 11:05pm by jmr531

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #1 of 5

I am in the process of making a cake covered in chocolate fondant. I am planning to make this cake look like a gift box. Does anyone have any tips about making a perfect straight edge at the bottom so that I don't have to cover the border with anything? I usually have to add something to the border to cover imperfections, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks to avoid needing a border.

I've also read about something called "gunk" in the forums. I think it's melted down fondant or something used like spackle - is that right? Is that something I could use? If so, how to I make it and how do I use it?

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 5

When you are going to smooth the cake, try putting it on top of something smaller than the cake. Then trim the bottom with a knife.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #3 of 5

I went to the paint dept of walmart and bought some spacklers and they come in handy for tucking fondant under the edge...I like to cut the fondant a little more than needed so I can keep it from tearing and tuck tiny bits under, maybe someone can explain in better than I am

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #4 of 5

check my pink and yellow hat and see no border on rim of hat

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 5

thank you both for the suggestions. i will give them a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%