I Need Some Help!

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 22 May 2009 , 3:50pm by bakingatthebeach

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

I need some step-by-step instructions on start to finish from baking to assembling a two tiered cake. I'm pretty sure I've got it but I want to make sure. I need specifics on when/how long/how to, cool (in the pan or on a cooling rack? and for how long?) trim( before or after cooling completely?), freeze (how many times and for how long?), crumb coat, cover in fondant etc. thats about the longest run-on sentence ever. I hope it makes since! TIA!

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 5

There are plenty of different ways to do it. Try searching through the forums first since there are tons of threads about it. You will get different answers from everyone.

I grease my pans with a mixture of equal amounts of shortening, flour an oil.

I cool my cakes in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer it in a rack until cool.

If I am not mistaken people have frozen theirs for months and still had a good cake. I usually just freeze mines for atleast a week before using it. Just make sure you wrap the cake with layers of plastic wrap (saran/cling wrap) and then put it in a freezer bag or wrap it in foil for bigger cakes.

Defrost it, torte, pipe a thick dam, fill and let it settle for several hours and wrap loosely with plastic wrap.

Crumbcoat, let it crust, get a damp paper towel and pat around the cake and then lay fondant.

Thats just my way of doing it. Good luck.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

HTH

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 5

awesome thread Jan!! thanks so much!

Jasmine

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 5

And if you need to see a video, go to youtube.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%