Good Chocolate Frosting???

Baking By rlc23 Updated 22 May 2009 , 3:41am by rlc23

rlc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlc23 Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 5

I've never actually made chocolate frosting, and I need to for an order this Friday (nothing like waiting til the last minute icon_biggrin.gif ), any tips, or favorite recipes??

4 replies
bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #2 of 5

This is an excellent recipe, it tastes better than the one that comes in a can

4 ounces margarine
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 or 2 1/2 cups of poudered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tp 4 tbs of boiling water

1.melt margarine, add boiling water, mix add cocoa mix well, add poudered sugar and vanilla, mix well. The mix will be liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool until has the consistency to spread. It is not very sweet.

Don¨t add more sugar because will be very sweet and will change the consistency.

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 5

This is hands down the BEST chocolate frosting you will ever eat. My neighbor gave this to me. There is NO other chocolate frosting for me. It sounds difficult but it is SO simple and YUMMY!

1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate (I use Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips)
6 1/2 ounces unsalted butter
1 teaspoon espresso powder, dissolved in
1 tablespoon hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
5 ounces unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream

Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in ss bowl of double boiler with 6 1/2 oz unsalted butter.Put bowl over simmering water.
Whisk together as soon as chocolate and butter soften.
Keep whisking until just melted and combined.
Remove from heat and stir in espresso and vanilla.
Cool to room temperature.
Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
Place 5 oz of unsalted butter and 1/2 of the powdered sugar mixture in a food processor.
Process scraping down sides.
Add rest of powdered sugar mixture, start processor and slowly pour in cream.
Process for about 10 seconds.
Whisk butter/cocoa mixture together with room temperature chocolate/espresso mixture in a large bowl until it becomes shiny and smooth.

DELISH!!! icon_biggrin.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #4 of 5

I love the recipe on the back of the hersheys cocoa can, especially when you use the dark cocoa!!! YUMMM!

rlc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlc23 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for sharing! My customer decided she needed the cake a day early (meaning I had to bake and decorate it tonight after teaching all day, and teaching a night class) So, I just put some melted chocolate into my normal buttercream and hoped for the best. Turned out pretty well, but I'm definitely excited about trying out your recipes! I'm making a chocolate cake for my mom's birthday this weekend, so I'll try them then! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%