Tinting Gum Paste Black And It's Going Green!!! Huh?

Decorating By princessmargie Updated 22 May 2009 , 2:33am by princessmargie

princessmargie Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone!
So, I'm trying to tint gum paste black using Wilton black gel color and it's going green. Does anyone know why and how I can get this black? I'm feeling pretty frustrated icon_razz.gif Thanks!

11 replies
mrswendel Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 12

Sorry, I don't know why....I know that I painted a design on fondant for a dummy cake and it turned green after it had been exposed to sunlight for a while. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

princessmargie Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #3 of 12

Hmm...thanks anyway! I'm so lost about this icon_sad.gif

MomLittr Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 12

whenever I try to make anything black, I start with a dark brown first. If you have brown, add it in, hopefully it will help.

patticakesnc Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 12

It is the reds in the colors. Just like the purple colors turn blue in the light....the red fades out for some reason. I agree though I normally start with brown first too, but I have painted without problem on fondant and gumpaste.

sweetcravings Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 12

My understanding is that black can have either green or blueish undertones..this is probably what you are seeing. Suggestions...well, i'm sorry i'm not much help right now. I use americolor superblack and always get a wonderful black color with very little added. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more help. I think you can add another color to get it back where you need it, but i'm drawing a blank at the moment.

princessmargie Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all your help. I'll try to add brown and see what happens. I think I'm just confused because I never have a problem tinting fondant black. I'll give it a try though. Thanks for the suggestions and info icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 12

Ok..so this is what i found..they discuss the black turning purple..i know its not the color your getting but a member a few posts down says to add some color at the other end of the color wheel and it should work. I believe the opposite of green is red. HTH. And of course remember that the color will deepen if left to rest a bit. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4085903-.html

princessmargie Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #9 of 12

Sounds interesting. Thanks so much! I'll go check it out. BTW...I added brown and it didn't work icon_razz.gif I'm gonna let it sit overnight and see what happens. I thought about just adding some gum tex to my already tinted black fondant. I need something that's going to dry and with the humidity right now, no fondant is drying in my house icon_razz.gif

Frankyola Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 12

That is right girls!!! Start with brown and then add black I always do that after 1000 attempts and my fondant turned green icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif , If you have green fondant now like that happen to me before just add red, gold or orange and will be perfect thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I learn that in my color class icon_smile.gif Here is a color wheel so you can have an idea how to neutralize colors I hope this can help thumbs_up.gif

And here is another example if you have purple add yellow and you will neutralize the color thumbs_up.gif

lorijom Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:26am
post #11 of 12

I never try to make black gumpaste starting with white. I take commercial black fondant and add tylose to it. The only commercial fondant I use is black and red because it's just not worth the headache to make those two colors...in either fondant or gum paste.

princessmargie Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much Frankyola! That`s really helpful. I will certainly try it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%