I Think I Found A Kitchen...

Business By Cakey1865 Updated 23 May 2009 , 1:35am by ayerim979

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 15

Ok here goes, I think I found a kitchen, they arent doing that great so I would be doing them as much of a favor as they will me, its a little cafe eatery. I already told them that I have all of my own equipment and people. I also told them that I would be doing the cakes under my name not theirs so it would be like a split business type deal. This is where the problem comes in how do we split it? I mean would I have my own register and them theirs? I dont even know how to go into talks for this....I love doing cakes, I love getting paid to do cakes, this is a way to do that legally but I dont want to be screwed in the process because they are more business minded than I am. So any help would be appreciated...
Thanks,

14 replies
TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 15

I just went through all of this in the past month... where are you, I'm in canada, things might be different... but I can definalty help you and let you know everything I had to do... let me know if I can help

Charleen

Cakey1865 Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 15

How do I go into talks for using this kitchen how much can I expect to pay?
Thanks

TantalizingTreats Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 15

You have to figure out how much time you want or need to be in the kitchen. I only use my kitchen 3 days a week plus a couple of hours on the weekends. I am paying $400 a month.

I had to get my food handling certificate, Health department had to come and inspect and issue me an occupancy permit, plus I had to register a business name, and licence my business, and then get insurance for the business and for using the kitchen... you need liablititly insurance.. If a fire were to start while your in it... you pay... so make sure you get insurance. It took me about a month to get everything done... and about $1000.

Charleen

TantalizingTreats Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey1865

How do I go into talks for using this kitchen how much can I expect to pay?
Thanks

Sorry I was gonna answer you question too... about how to talk about it... I submitted a proposal stating what, why, when and how... and answered any questions...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 15

Are you really going to need a cash register? Are you selling little pastries or cupcakes by the cupcake? If not, I would say you probably won't really need a register. A lot of people are going to want to pay with check or credit card. If you are worried about cash, you could put something in your contract about specifically bringing the exact amount so that you don't have to worry about giving change back to them.

I would use a computer program to print a receipt and track all expenses. I wouldn't share ANYTHING but the space with the other business.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I would use a computer program to print a receipt and track all expenses.

QuickBooks Simple Start is free now, and very easy to set up.

Cakey1865 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #8 of 15

Ok there is already a little sandwich shop there and they are barely surviving, so I will be going in with them basiclly sharing a kitchen with them, they already have all the health permits and stuff I would think I would just move my counters in other things in. The woman even said they needed something like I was offering to help their business even if I do come in using my own name. I know I would have to pay half of everything thats expected but Should I have to pay more than that?
Thanks

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 15

SO you have to get the kitchen inspecte AGAIN even if its already being used and is up to code? Just trying to get all the facts....don't want to leave anything out.

Thanks

TantalizingTreats Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey1865

Ok there is already a little sandwich shop there and they are barely surviving, so I will be going in with them basiclly sharing a kitchen with them, they already have all the health permits and stuff I would think I would just move my counters in other things in. The woman even said they needed something like I was offering to help their business even if I do come in using my own name. I know I would have to pay half of everything thats expected but Should I have to pay more than that?
Thanks

I feel like something just isn't right in this situation. I would ask her exactly what she is expecting from you. Have her write something up on paper and then take it to your lawyer and find out if what she is asking is legal and how it will benenfit you. Then if your comfortable, consider signing a contract with her. But i would call your city by-law office and talk to them... tell them that you are looking into starting you own business within another already operating business.. and find out what licences and permits you need. I think that should be your first step.

Charleen

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 15

I'm with Charleen. I wouldn't think that you would have to pay half of everything. I would think that you would rent the kitchen for an agreed upon price that would cover your share of the electricity, water, etc. I think that's how most people do it. Or you could pay the rent and then split the utilities. But whatever you end up doing, make SURE that you have a written contract with the owner. If something goes wrong, you are going to need that contract. (My hubby just graduated from law school, so I've just kind of picked up a bunch of junk over the years. I'm sure it's only going to get worse!)

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 15

Even though they are inspected you would need to get it reinspected for YOUR business. If you want it under your name and for you to get the income you have to have a separate business license, insurance, inspection etc. Most likely a food handlers license as well. It would be like you are sub-leasing space from them. If you aren't selling in the storefront area then you would be renting storage space and kitchen usage time. I wouldn't expect to split the expenses 50/50 - depends on usage. Also, you may want to find out how long there lease is for, if its up in say 6 months and decide not to renew you are out.

HTH

Judi

Cakey1865 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #13 of 15

You guys are so awesome...I got a call from them at about 5 pm this evening and they said that they were just gonna close...so it must not have been meant to be...Thanks again everyone

Cakey1865 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:25am
post #14 of 15

You guys are so awesome...I got a call from them at about 5 pm this evening and they said that they were just gonna close...so it must not have been meant to be...Thanks again everyone

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #15 of 15

Wel that is just too bad. Like you said it was just not mean to be but at least you have an idea of what you may need .

good Luck !!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%