Cake Pricing...i Know It's Been Asked Before

Decorating By kccliff Updated 20 May 2009 , 10:15pm by indydebi

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 2

I know it's been asked many times on here before but I can't really find and "price examples" I am new at this game and I still think I'm underpricing my cakes.

Can someone let me in on how they price their cakes? Do you price per person and roughly how much would a base price be? I know that flowers and icing types would be extra but I truly don't know where to start.

I know how much I spend on my supplies (give or take) but I just don't want to under price myself and lose out or overprice myself and not get an order.

Anyone who can help me would be appreciated...

I am in Niagara falls Canada.

Thank you in advance
Karen

1 reply
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 2

You know the cost of your supplies, that's good. DId you include EVERYthing for the cake? not just grocery items, but grease and flour for the pan, cardboards, boxes, foil, papertowels, colors, etc?

How much time was spent buying supplies? How far away is the grocery store? In miles? Times a mileage rate to figure a car expense?

How much time did you spend mixing, baking, cleaning? How much time did you spend mixing icing, icing the cake, decorating, cleaning?

How much time did you spend with the customer to go over the details of the cake?

Add up all of this time and think to yourself, "If I was an actual storefront and had to pay an employee to do all of this stuff, how much would my payroll be?"

Time and talent is your biggest expense. Don't shortchange yourself on that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%