Calling All Experienced Airbrush Artist/cake Decorator

Decorating By Maria_Campos Updated 21 May 2009 , 5:21pm by Bellatheball

Maria_Campos Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 5

I have been going back and forth for 2.5 years now trying to decide on which airbrush to buy, I know everyone on here is buying Aztec, but I'm not convinced, and I want what my cake Idols are using! I know Mike McCarey & Francis Kuyper are using the IWATA, and Duff is using the Paasche, which just came out with the Talon last year which I hear rivals the Iwata & Badger and it is way more affordable, and until a few days ago before hearing about the Talon I was ready to get the Iwata HP-C, but today while looking on here for some ideas on a compressor to accompany the Paasche Talon I was suppose to buy today, I saw all these post showing up again about this darn friggin Aztec, now I'm confused again.

I have this OCD thing where I can't buy anything unless I do major research EVERYWHERE and I'm completely content about the product, and it has tons of positive reviews. And no offense, but I don't trust the opinions of folks who have not airbrushed long enough to compare from pass experiences with other airbrushes.

With that said help me once and for all make my decision on which one to purchase, It is mentally torturing me now because I have never taken so long to make a decision.

So what say you!?!?! Talon, Iwata HP-C, or Aztec??? And then what quite compressor do you also recommend. icon_eek.gif

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 5

Can't help you decide..I own a Kopykake Airmaster..Love it!!

Maria_Campos Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 5

I think you almost need 2 or more, because you can use each one for different uses, one for wider areas and another for fine detailing. I am also a artist/painter and I was thinking about using it for fine art work, (on a cake of course). Do any of you have more than one?

Maria_Campos Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 5

OK I have decided and I'm buying it today before I change my mine, I have decided to buy 3 different brands of airbrushes, Aztek, Paasche and Iwata because I know many airbrush artist have multiples airbrushes all used for different purposes.

I decided on the Aztek A470 because I read something on here about it being good for spraying petal dust without clogging. And I like the different nozzles and ease or cleaning, and the fact it has several interchangeable color cups. I also found many great resources online about this gun, and David from David's cakes in the UK uses this one as well, and his stuff is insane.

Iwata HP-C because it dependable, tried and true and it's hard to find someone that is not head over heels for their gun, airbrush artist and cake decorator alike, it has amazing line control with very little over spray. Just google this brush and check out the reviews it gets constant praises, it's like the Mercedes Benz or guns

And lastly I wil purchase the Paasche Talon for non cake purposes, for wall murals and fine arts and just to mess around with, it's a decent slick gun with a it's nice upgrade from there older models, come with a cover like the Aztek, dual action with the gravity feed cup and not only that, it's also comes at a great price, under $100 and it can stand up next to an Iwata.

I will not purchase them all at once I will start with Aztek since I have a few cakes due soon that I can use a nice application of luster dust.

I hope this info can help other newbies like me on here.

And now the compressor... icon_confused.gif

Bellatheball Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 5

I really appreciate it! I'm starting to think about getting one but there's almost too much info out there to wade through. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%