Courses In Cake Making And Decoration

Decorating By pgargi Updated 22 May 2009 , 12:56am by bakermommy4

pgargi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pgargi Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I am IT analyst in boston MA and looking to do some courses in cake making and cake decoration to further cultivate my interest and might apt as a career in long run. Any suggestions for good institutes or schools who offers this? I would prefer if its near by and also, flexible to do.

Thanks in advance.

- GP

4 replies
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 5

I am getting my pastry arts degree and one of the courses that I took was cake design. Now that was just one course of many. You could just take that one course. And also, at Michaels Craft Stores they offer a great cake decorating class and its 4 courses long in cake decorating. I don't know where your from but Michaels are everywhere (I think)

hth

and welcome to cake central.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 5

Most of the well known decorators offer classes but you would probably have to travel. Sugarshack has very good DVDs on her website, www.sugaredproductions.com as does Jennifer Dontz, www.sugardelights.com These are great for beginners and you could decide if this is something you want to pursue. The ICES convention, International Cake Exploration Society, is in Chicago this summer and you can take short classes and see demos there from some of the well knowns. Here is their web site http://www.ices.org/

pgargi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pgargi Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Tiggy2 and bakermommy4. I will look into these websites Tiggy2 and hopefully this will give me more information to decide whether I would like to go into that direction.

Also, I will look into Michaels craft store bakermommy4. I have one near by but I never knew they offer classes!!!! Can you tell me from which university you are taking your degree from?

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 5

I'm in Vegas and at the university they don't offer the actual labs for the culinary degree so I have to take those at College of Southern Nevada (community college). It's the Associates Degree program, I'm debating on whether or not to go all the way with my Bachelors and I can take part of that at UNLV and the hands on I have fulfilled already. It's a great program, the units are transferable and you won't be out of $45,00-$50,00 like if you attend the Arts Institute or Le Cordon Bleu. Not downing those schools cuz I surely would go if I could afford it...though I hear from the students there that they wish they wouldn't have signed there life away for the same education they could have gotten at a community college.

sorry that was so long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%